Plants Have Roots And New Plants Growing On Leaves

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by JustFishing, Apr 22, 2017.

1. JustFishingNew MemberMember

I have a general question for the forum. I am new to aquariums and only have a small 20 gallon at this time. I have quite a few freshwater plants that are flourishing just fine, but I have a few Java Ferns (I think that is what they are - I added pictures). The ferns have plants and roots growing on most of the leaves. I have removed a few and planted them (they are growing just fine). My concern is that I have no idea what type of plants the hitchhikers are and I want to ensure they are not parasitic or bad for the overall health of the tank. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. QuicheValued MemberMember

They could just be java fern plantlets- java ferns can grow from their leaves, resulting in another very small plant. Do the leaves looks similiar to your java fern's leaves?

3. JustFishingNew MemberMember

The leaves look similar but with more ridges around edges then the mature leaves. I have removed a few and planted them, they are growing so I should know soon. My concern was the amount of plants, I have three adult ferns and each has at least 5 of these new plants growing off of them. As long as they are not bad for the tank I consider myself pretty lucky, bought one full plant and going to end up with about 12 in the end. Thank you for the reply

Attached Files:

4. UniqueSharkWell Known MemberMember

Asian waterfern?

5. JustFishingNew MemberMember

These were store bought plants (local pet store) so I am guessing they could be hitchhikers that just happened to come with the plants. I will look up Asian Waterfern and do some research, thanks.

6. JustFishingNew MemberMember

Thanks again, it does meet all the criteria and appearance of Asian waterfern. Would you happen to know if the parasitic nature is dangerous to the tank or is it just one of those plants that runs around looking for something to attach too.

7. DolfanFishlore VIPMember

They are most likely java fern plantlets, that is how they reproduce. The baby's can look a little different than the mature plant, but this is common, it means your doing something right.

8. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

Agreed for sure baby ferns.

Just wanted to make sure then when you say planting them you are only planting the little dark roots, leaving the rhizome (long green stick looking part the leaves grow from) exposed. If you plant the rhizome it will rot.

I often just stick my plantlets into the adults, creates a very full looking plant!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  9. UniqueSharkWell Known MemberMember

I don't think it's java ferns. The leaves have thick stems

10. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Just got that plant, and it has the same thing you are seeing.

Those are Asian Waterleaf Ferns.

11. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Definitely a fern (not sure its a Java though) and those are definitely babies. Pluck them off carefully, stick them in a crack of driftwood and watch them grow. Just plucked 10 off one of my Javas this morning. Your plant is very happy.