Plants half submerged help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Kimberly4403, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Kimberly4403Well Known MemberMember

Can i use filter floss for my half submerged plants (lizards tail and lucky bamboo) to root into and help hold them upright?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Bluestreakfl

BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

You could, however I think it would get pretty nasty after a while. I would recommend making some kind of mesh basket out of plastic crafting grid, zip ties, and some suction cups. You could then position and move it around as needed, and also it would stay much cleaner. Filter floss would be very likely to catch debris and get pretty nasty over time, and in the process of cleaning it, youd risk disturbing or damaging the plants.

Heres a pretty extensive thread regarding land plants or half submerged style plants, and several different styles and setups. you should take a peek, might give you some ideas of easier more efficient methods.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-plants/198953-nitrate-loving-land-plants.html

3. OP
    OP
    K

Kimberly4403Well Known MemberMember

Ive read it but no one replying to my questions or comments on that so i made a new one..

I wont something i can hold a bunch of plants together in rather than have individual plants suction capped to back of tank like i currently have but have no idea about how to make them stand up right they topple over often and it irritates me

4. Bluestreakfl

I did a long row in my 20g long of Peace lily, about 1/2 of the tanks length. Instead of making a short basket, you make one long and shallow. I used filter sponge to wedge in the ends, and it keeps the row of plants upright. The grid also is great for the roots, as it gives them something to wrap around and grow through.

Heres a link to the post with the pics of how I did mine. Thats about 12 peace lilies ranging in various sizes. I also made my basket a triangular tube, so the point closes on the top corners, which also helps secure the plants further.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...itrate-loving-land-plants-10.html#post2140776

5. OP
    OP
    K

What sort of mesh did you use?

6. Bluestreakfl

This same exact one, super cheap from Michaels or any arts and crafts store. 0.59 cents per 10.5"x13.5" Sheet, super easy to cut and work with. You can basically make any shape you want, the sky is the limit. Just use tiny zipties to attach where you need to.

7. OP
    OP
    K

Would something like these work? There made from durable clear plastic

Attached Files:

8. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

Those would work, lots of people use things like toothbrush holders with success. I just made cages with craft mesh and zip ties like Bluestreakfl and they're working well for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice