Plants good for tanks with no co2 injection

yvonnedono

Looking for plant ideas to plant a 55 gallon tank that has no co2 injection. I have an aquasky light but can move into a plant 3.0 if necessary. I especially would like a plant that can carpet the tank and some red colors. I am thinking of switching out my carib sea complete substrate with soil.

Boltaction

Hi yvonnedono,

I just planted tiger lotus, which can grow without high light levels and has some nice red coloration. You can let them grow high and extend to the surface of the tank, or try to prune them so they grow wider. Also I think it doesn’t need any CO2 injection to thrive. Did you fill the tank already? You will probably want to drain it if you’re switching substrate.

Attachments

• 54A11CF3-1679-4D41-AC7D-46E43DD9F270.jpeg
    54A11CF3-1679-4D41-AC7D-46E43DD9F270.jpeg
    345.2 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 0

JettsPapa

There are some crypt varieties with reddish leaves. They don't require CO2, and will spread to fill an area.

Upvote 0

carsonsgjs

You can also get a variety of bucephalandra that has reddish leaves (imaginatively named ‘red’).

i also had an echinodorus ozelot red which did well until it was buried by gravel by my digging t-bar. Didnt use any co2 or ferts with that.

Upvote 0

Freshfishguy

For a carpeting plant, I’d recommend S. Repens or Monte Carlo.
For a red plant, Ludwigia Sp. Red is pretty much the reddest plant you can get for a non-CO2 injected tank.
If you do upgrade your lighting beyond the aquasky, I recommend going with a light with lots of red and blue, because that’s the most important aspect to getting more red out of plants and better color contrast in your tank in general. 99 percent of LEDs don’t have enough red light. A good option on the affordable end would be the Finnex Planted+ 24/7. Other options in a similar price range as the Fluval 3.0 include lights by Chihiros, Twinstar, and ONF. Just make sure to find the lights color spectrum if it isn’t one of these that I’ve mentioned and check for lots of red.

Here is my chihiros light’s color spectrum:

7FBBC7B6-5134-4002-9FB4-46BD3EF3DA24.png
Here is the Fluval 3.0 color spectrum which I actually upgraded from:

2E9B274E-6BD1-41DD-B82F-BC62C0BCB4AA.png
You can see that the Fluval 3.0 has a ton of blue but not much red or green.

Upvote 0

emilymg

S. repens slowly carpeted for me with no CO2

Upvote 0

yeti79

For reds try dwarf aquarium lilly, red tiger lotus, crypt wendtii red, crypt undullata red. Dwarf sag could work for a carpeting plant.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views
NevermindIgnoreMe
  • Question
Replies
Views