Plants getting lots of Hair Algae

mgrav21

So my plants have started to grow a lot of hair algae and my Amano shrimp and Bristlenose don’t eat it. It’s mostly the Anubias that has a lot of hair algae on it but what fish or anything can help combat this problem??

Thanks in advance for any help?

kallililly1973

What type of hair algae can u get a pic of it? What size tank? How long has it been set up for? how long are your lights on for? What are all the inhabitants of your tank?

PascalKrypt

Rather than stuffing in a new fish to solve the problem, it is better to find the cause of the algae itself. Maybe your inhabitants are not eating it because they already have enough to snack on and your tank has an algae problem in general.

Can you tell us a little about your set-up, your maintenance schedule (including ferts) and your lights? Do you have a photo as well, perhaps?

Edit: got ninja'd by kallililly1973

mgrav21

Yeah theirs just the amanos a bristlenose and 4 glass catfish rn it just finished cycling about 3 weeks ago. And I don’t use any ferts besides flourish. The lights stay on from about 10 am to 10pm

Attachments

• BA2EF278-6470-465D-B1D8-A93A1F7ED715.jpeg
    BA2EF278-6470-465D-B1D8-A93A1F7ED715.jpeg
    66.7 KB · Views: 73

kallililly1973

I would start by cutting down on your lighting to 4-6 hours for a week or so and try to manually remove as much algae as possible. Also I would invest in an all in one fert like nilog thrivec it'll help your plants grow and outcompete the algae once they get going. just to start with.

mgrav21

Okay gotcha. Just curious I was told that’s what flourish was supposed to do since it’s an all in one and not concentrated in any one area?

It’s a 40 gal breeder btw

kallililly1973

Okay gotcha. Just curious I was told that’s what flourish was supposed to do since it’s an all in one and not concentrated in any one area?
Flourish only has tiny trace elements of micro nutrients plants need. Thrive and Easy green will have all the micro and macro nutrients your plants need.

PascalKrypt

12 hours of lighting is very excessive unless you have a well balanced or high-tech tank that can handle it. Without a doubt the main cause of the algae problems.

You may also want to vacuum a lot as once algae sets in, it can become a vicious cycle in the sense of algae growth -> covers plants -> plants drops their damaged leaves -> leaves decay and turn into detritus in your tank -> fuels further algae growth. So as pointed out, try to clean the plants and clear out anything decaying.

What kind of plants are in the tank?

KinderScout

brown algae and hair algae not uncommon in a new tank - we had a massive hair algae bloom a couple of months in. It should settle down as your tank matures and you get the right balance of ferts, lights and CO2. Consider working out your CO2 to see If it's enough for your plants - there's a direct link between KH, PH and CO2 to help at the bottom of this post. Don't sweat too much about the algae itself this early on

CO2-Chart-1-1.jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Mattherrt
  • Algae
Replies
Views
Mattherrt
Replies
Views
  • fishrlene
  • Algae