Plants from yard

Tdahl09

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Can I use plants that I have in my yard? I have already used creeping Jenny in my tanks and it works out great. I was wondering about using sedum since it does really well in my bird bath and fountains. I just don't want to harm my fish. All plants a pest aside free

Live everyday

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How are you growing sedums in a bird bath or fountain? They are a succulant and I would think the roots would rot if not allowed to dry out between watering. Alison

Tdahl09

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I put them in there and they grew out over the edges but the base is not in any dirt just water

Live everyday

DTurner

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The main difference would be that you have the roots submerged in water, in an aquarium you would have the whole plant submerged.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You could put them in riparium style with the roots in a suction cup plastic toothbrush holder or similar and have the plant out

Tdahl09

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm afraid of my snails getting out, as it is momma mystery laid eggs on the side of the filter the first night in the new tank!

Live everyday

Blk69

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thinking most outdoor plants would find it challenging living under water.

ricmcc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is this not just hydroponics, and if so, I believe that Amazon Kindle (I am sure among many other sources) offers a guide or several as to which plants are safe with fish, and to their husbandtry. It seems to be becoming quite popular; sort of a semi-wet Walstad. rick

ricmcc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have always thought that those would look kind of neat draping a tank, roots in water; would look even more primeval than my pre married days fridge looked--rick

Thetanknwebie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Non aquatic plants can be kept in aquarium as long as their leaves are in the air but their roots submerged. I've seen some DIY tutorials that use a suction toothbrush or sponge holder on the side of the tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom