Plants from yard

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Tdahl09, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Tdahl09

Tdahl09 Valued Member Member

Can I use plants that I have in my yard? I have already used creeping Jenny in my tanks and it works out great. I was wondering about using sedum since it does really well in my bird bath and fountains. I just don't want to harm my fish. All plants a pest aside free

Live everyday

2. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

How are you growing sedums in a bird bath or fountain? They are a succulant and I would think the roots would rot if not allowed to dry out between watering. Alison

3. OP
    OP
    Tdahl09

I put them in there and they grew out over the edges but the base is not in any dirt just water

Live everyday

4. D

DTurner Valued Member Member

The main difference would be that you have the roots submerged in water, in an aquarium you would have the whole plant submerged.

5. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

You could put them in riparium style with the roots in a suction cup plastic toothbrush holder or similar and have the plant out :)

6. OP
    OP
    Tdahl09

I'm afraid of my snails getting out, as it is momma mystery laid eggs on the side of the filter the first night in the new tank!

Live everyday

7. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

The non-aquatic plants would need to be part out of the water.

8. B

Blk69 Valued Member Member

Thinking most outdoor plants would find it challenging living under water.

9. OP
    OP
    Tdahl09

But the creeping Jenny is both?

Live everyday

10. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Be careful about the plants you use from the yard as some could be poisonous to your fish. Check out the list in the link above concerning poisonous plants.

Thanks!

Ken

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  11. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

Is this not just hydroponics, and if so, I believe that Amazon Kindle (I am sure among many other sources) offers a guide or several as to which plants are safe with fish, and to their husbandtry. It seems to be becoming quite popular; sort of a semi-wet Walstad. rick

12. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello,

I have Pothos in my refugiums and it's growing very well, slowly but well. :)

Ken

13. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I have always thought that those would look kind of neat draping a tank, roots in water; would look even more primeval than my pre married days fridge looked:)--rick

14. T

Thetanknwebie Well Known Member Member

Non aquatic plants can be kept in aquarium as long as their leaves are in the air but their roots submerged. I've seen some DIY tutorials that use a suction toothbrush or sponge holder on the side of the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

15. OP
    OP
    Tdahl09

Thanks guys

Live everyday

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice