Plants from eBay

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by slimeneo, Nov 26, 2012.

1. slimeneo

slimeneoValued MemberMember

I'm thinking about buying some plants on eBay... perhaps some more marimo balls and amazon sword. However most marimo balls are sold from Malaysia... has anyone had any experience with this? Wouldn't they die being shipped from so far away? I live in the US by the way. I think it's a bit suspicious how shipping is free and the plant itself is only $1.60... how is that possible?!

2. monkeypie102

monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

I ordered some from the person your talking about... my moss balls are suppose to come in here soon... I was told there is a chance that they could be fake which is why they are so cheap... if I was you I would just got the a local petsmart/petco and just buy some there... it costs more but you can cut them smaller if you need... then you know they are real... but when mine come in I can let you know ;)

also if you do buy other plants make sure you read the descriptions... I normally only buy the ones coming from the US as they don't take WEEKS getting to you...

3. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

I got an anubias coffeefolia all the way from Hong Kong that was only about $5. Things are often much cheaper in other countries because our money has a higher assigned value (sometimes a dollar of ours can equal 100 of their comparable currency, or whatever) and labor is cheaper there.

There is always a chance it's not what the seller says it is, but that's a risk you take with ebay regardless. Check the seller rating and reputation comments.

4. OP
    OP
    slimeneo

I do have a marimo ball from petsmart (cost me $8!!!) but I truly think it's way overpriced there... yeah, there's a chance it might be fake, hmm... well let me know how it is :)

Was the anubias in good shape when it arrived? Most of the sellers have nearly 99.9% good feedback, although because they sell so much stuff there's still a few hundred negative reviews.

5. jetajockey

jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

There have been reports of plant shipments being seized by customs, so that's also a risk you may run. It is cheaper to go with overseas goods but ultimately you may be better off buying stateside and getting it faster with less risk. You will also get a better quality product in many cases because the overseas sellers tend to clip down plants to nearly bare rhizomes and some plants don't fare well in weeks of transit.

6. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Oh, it was gorgeous. Nicest plant I ever got and still the best I have. Let me see if I can't look up the seller for you.

Edit: It was teiuken. Sadly, said seller has nothing listed right now :(

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  7. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

Which seller are you looking at? If it is the one you are talking about then I wouldn't get from him since I had quite a few issues.

I can order Marimo Balls from overseas but they are $5 each. Reason they are so much more expensive than the ones on ebay is because (1) they are bigger (2) they are true marimo balls (3) they include international shipping costs and (4) they are grown in a replication of their natural habitat which makes them hardier. I'll have to recheck to see if my source still has some available but normally he does. Just shoot me a PM if you want me to look into it.

8. Terra

TerraWell Known MemberMember

slimeneo you may wanna rethink that amazon sword for a 10 gallon tank. I ordered one from a website and it was nearly as tall when it arrived as my 10 gallon is long. I guess I coulda planted it sideways.. hehe. There is a compacta sword that looks similar and doesn't outgrow smaller tanks as well as the tropica sword which i have in my 10 gallon that stays smallish and looks great.

9. OP
    OP
    slimeneo

Eienna: ah, that's ok. Thanks anyways :)

RogueAgent94: I was looking at AquaticMagic, specifically this marimo ball.

Terra: thanks for the heads up :) do you think if I get a small one it grow that big though? I've seen some ebay amazon swords labeled small, medium and large. I'll look into the other swords, thank you :)

10. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

If you are talking about aquaticmagic on Ebay I never had a problem with him my ball came for him and it is doing well in my 30 gallon. I got it as a dime size and now it is a quater size and I am about to mount it to a drifdtwood :). Plus I got my swords and java fern and all are doing well.

11. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Supposedly aquaticmagic is a pretty good seller, but I don't think their prices were THAT low. They do have their own site, too. Don't recall the URL.

12. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

Here's a link to their site:  

I've ordered several times from them and always have been satisfied, never marimo balls though.

13. OP
    OP
    slimeneo

ooh, thanks :) I might get a couple of the marimo balls from them then.

14. jetajockey

I suggest Googling for reviews on the company, I've seen multiple threads come up relating to them.

It doesn't mean you shouldn't use them, just be informed in your choice to do so.

15. Terra

TerraWell Known MemberMember

When amazon swords (or any plant) is sold as small, medium, large I think that just means the starting size they'll mail it at.

I don't really know what plants do in tanks too small for them. Do they grow to the water line and stop? Do they overflow it and grow emersed until the light overhead burns the leaves? I guess the limit of nutrients in a 10g tank would limit their growth.

16. jetajockey

I can tell you what amazon swords do, they go up to the surface and then either poke out and get burned by the lights, or grow parallel to the surface. I had some do this in my 120g (24" tall tank)

17. OP
    OP
    slimeneo

Oh wow. I'll definitely try to find a tropica sword instead then, lol.

18. jetajockey

I had the same thing happen with radican swords, except they sent stems above the water line just to get burnt by the light bulbs. It would've worked out if I had the tank lights positioned higher, but in doing that it would've greatly reduced light intensity to the rest of the tank. The lighting and nutrients in the tank do play a large part though, as you mentioned. I have planted small ones in unfertilized low light tanks and they grew very slowly for months while the sister plants in a soil tank under medium light easily got 3x the size.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice