Plants For Tanks With Sand

1. japswe Initiate Member

I'd like to use sand for a new tank. Will kind of plants and plant treaters would work? It would be in a minimum 30 gallon tank. Residents will be 2 german rams and 5 small purple tetras (not the glo type) thanks

2. Tarlyn Initiate Member

I've always had good luck with Amazon Swords, Water Wisteria, and Anubias Nana in a sand substrate. Those are also very easy to maintain.

As for plant treaters, I use Seachem Flourish Tabs as well as some liquid nutrients like Iron, Potassium, and Nitrogen if the plants are showing any nutrient deficiency. Just be aware that if you decide to plant your tank heavily that you may want to consider injecting CO2.

3. japswe Initiate Member

Thank you! I'll search out those plants and see if I can maintain them. I love the look of heavily planted tanks but I should probably start with a few since they aren't cheap

4. Tarlyn Initiate Member

You'll also want to look into tissue cultured plants. They are a little pricy, but are snail free. Getting plants grown in an aquarium have a chance of having snails, which many people consider to be a pest since they reproduce like crazy.

5. manzeez Member Member

6. Tarlyn Initiate Member

Just make sure the Java fern and Java moss is attached to Driftwood or something with fishing line. It won't do well if you just stick it in/on the sand.