Plants For Summer Tubbing?

1. Koiman

Koiman Valued Member Member

Hi Fishlore,

I have two tubs that I'm going to be growing plants in the summer and I would really appreciate suggestions on what to grow because I want to grow plants that will do well in these conditions.

The first tub is 100 gallons, two feet deep, 5 feet long, and in partial sunlight.

The second tub is around 220 gallons, just 10" deep, 13 feet long, and in partial sunlight as well. Both tubs will have a soil substrate with a pea gravel or sand cap (still haven't decided).

The water flow in the 100 gallon is quite good, but the water flow in the 220 gallon isn't very good due to not having an appropriate sized pump (I would prefer not to upgrade).

Overall, I'm looking for fast growing beginner plants that will grow good in the conditions listed.

For the 100 gallon, I want some plants that can grow a bit tall because I have the depth for it. I was thinking water wisteria and some ludwigia repens, but I would like some more options that would be just as easy to grow.

For the 220 gallon, I want some plants that grow low like carpetting plants since its so shallow so I've been looking at pearlweed, dwarf sag, and pogostemon helferi, but I'm not sure if the last one will work. I would really like more suggestions for easy carpetting plants that I can grow in these conditions.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Anacharis is t(e easiest stem plant IMO.

I haven’t dosed my 37 wit( any ferts and the lights are in for around 6 hours every da6 and it took the anacharis 2 months to take over the tank.

In my 20 long, I had 4 inches of anacharis growth in one day from one stem.

3. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Also, any floating plants like duckweed would work.

Duckweed can double themselves in 16 hours given the right conditions.

These plants just need a good source of nutrients.

I grow my duckweed in a lily pot. The excess nutrients from the lily substrate makes my duckweed grow like weeds,