Plants for my Cycling Tank 30 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by pinksprklmonkey, Mar 27, 2010.

1. p

pinksprklmonkey Valued Member Member

Hi. My tank is starting it's cycle on Monday, so I'm trying to figure out what plants go in.

In this tank I plan on having:
    cherry barbs
    lemon tetras
    bolivian rams
    blue rams

I was looking at Java Fern, Anubias or maybe Bolbitis. Would these be good for the fish I have listed? I want them to feel comfortable.

As far as aquascaping I am planning on gravel with some build up river rocks for extra hiding places and maybe one piece of driftwood as a center piece.

I also was wondering about Java Moss, does it behave like "normal moss"?

What do you guys think?

2. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

Sounds like a good plan to me. Java moss is easy as can be, you can plant or float it. My fish love to hide and play in it (I float it). Some of my fish like to hide in the floating roots as well. Good luck.

3. peacemaker92

peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

It's good that you're planning ahead :) Love your neat plan! You could get some java moss and float it as ppate mentioned (nice idea btw!). If you can find online, you could get some nice java moss balls too. They're cute and nice for aquascaping too. Besides that, java ferns and anubias are quite easy plants to take care of with the right stuff.

Hope to see some photos when you've got it running. Best of luck! :;hf

4. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Those plants will be fine with your fish. Cherry Barbs can be pretty hard on plants so stick with the tougher type plants that you have already picked. Best to avoid delicate plants like Ambulia & Foxtail with Barbs in the tank. If you provide details of your lighting I can recommend other plants that will be ok with your fish & that you may be interested in.

I'd just like to point out that Java Moss doesn't just float on the surface on it's own. It will drift all around the tank & settle where ever it pleases if you don't attach it to something. If you want Java Moss to float on the surface, wrap it around some cork & gently tie it on. That will keep it floating on the surface rather than drifting through the tank.

5. N

Neji Valued Member Member

I think the barbs wouldn't be good with the rams. People say that the barbs are fin nippers. Also, you should go for sand too :) if you want to have live plants. I don't know if it is true, but live plants can root easier in sand than on gravel... but I don't know if that is true.

6. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Cherry Barbs are not aggressive enough to bother Rams in the slightest. I know literally dozens of people that have them together & have never heard of any issues at all. Do not go for sand for plants. It is true that some plants can root easier in sand. However, deep sand like required for plants gets nitrogen bubbles forming in it which are poisonous to your fish. You need to manually stir the sand up every week to release these nitrogen bubbles so that they can't harm your fish. Also sand holds no good bacteria at all because there is no water flowing through it to carry oxygen to beneficial bacteria. That same lack of oxygen can cause anaerobic bacteria (bad) to form, around the plants roots. If that happens the plants roots rot & die. Also due to the lack of water flow, fertilisers you add do not travel through the sand to the plants roots. That limits the plant to feeding through it's stems & leaves or having to use substrate tablets that come in direct contact with the plants roots.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice