Plants for my 3 gallon eclipse w/ betta?

medusey

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI All. I have a 3 gallon eclipse with one crowntail betta. Just ordered 1 horned nerite snail. Currently, I have four silk plants, but am wondering if I would be better off adding one or two live plants. Can plants thrive in such a small tank? What kinds are best for a newbie like me with what I guess is a low-light system (it has a fluorescent bulb; no idea what kind). And, I read on here that it's a bad idea to buy the plants from places like petco and petsmart, where they have them sitting in tubes. Should I go to my mom & pop fish store where I bought my betta or will I get better quality online? If so, can you name some sites, please? Thanks in advance.

pepetj

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Anubias barterI species (I would go with the small varieties, like the nana or petite) and Java Fern are probably two of the low light loving plants that can make an almost instant aquascaping possible.

Get as much plants as you can; for a 3gal Marineland Eclipse tank, I would get at least six Anubias barterI var petite and at least a dozen of Java Fern. Using black cotton thread (black wool would work also) attach the rizhome (the main root) to pieces of driftwood. If your tank has substrate keep in mind the main root of the plants must remain above substrate level,

As far as taking care of them (plants need their food also) just make sure they receive at least 8 hours of lights on time per day (I use 12 in my tanks). At least once a week, after partial water change, dose with liquid aquatic plant fertilizer that contains chelated iron and other trace elements (such as Tetra's FloraPride and API Leaf Zone).

Snails may go through the leaves but not eat them (at least not Anubias and Java Fern, other plants they may prey on); they go after algae and other microorganisms that grow in the leaves surface.

Your Betta tank will look great with real plants. I would keep the fake plants at hand for hospital or holding tanks in the future.

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
medusey said:
HI All. I have a 3 gallon eclipse with one crowntail betta. Just ordered 1 horned nerite snail. Currently, I have four silk plants, but am wondering if I would be better off adding one or two live plants. Can plants thrive in such a small tank? What kinds are best for a newbie like me with what I guess is a low-light system (it has a fluorescent bulb; no idea what kind). And, I read on here that it's a bad idea to buy the plants from places like petco and petsmart, where they have them sitting in tubes. Should I go to my mom & pop fish store where I bought my betta or will I get better quality online? If so, can you name some sites, please? Thanks in advance.
I actually got some amazing anubias plants at Petco in the water tank. Don't buy in tubes. Go to the water tank w/ live plants. You can see how healthy they are and know what you want to buy.

OP
M

medusey

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
just went to petco yesterday and they had some beautiful anubias plants in one of their tanks. really healthy looking. but, it didn't say what kind of anubias. up til this point, I was thinking I needed to get a petite. don't thing these were petite. should I just get one? and how do I transfer to my tank without bringing in diseases/snails?

New Threads