Plants for Multi 10 gallon tank

GBR.Moorrreeee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am currently starting up a 10 gallon multi tank. (Neolamprologus multifasciatus) I am looking for a floating plant, preferably a different color than green. Any ideas??

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't have any direct experience with this plant.

It would appear to be a fairly resiliant and tolerant plant.

It may be worth searching these forums to see if there's any further info available.

Nutter may come along and see this, he may have some experience/advice.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
PH 8.2 is definitley at the extremes for this plant. It usually prefers water to be neutral or slightly acidic. It likes liquid ferts & you need pretty intense lighting for it to retain it's pink/red colour. I've tried this plant in several tanks & have failied miserably each time. One of only 3 plants I havn't had some form of success with.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
PH 8.2 is definitley at the extremes for this plant. It usually prefers water to be neutral or slightly acidic. It likes liquid ferts & you need pretty intense lighting for it to retain it's pink/red colour. I've tried this plant in several tanks & have failied miserably each time. One of only 3 plants I havn't had some form of success with.
Nutter, I'm surprised! You are a plant guru in my eyes. Do you have any idea why it failed? And what the other two plants were that you weren't successful with?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not certain why I failed with Red Floater. It's one of the great mysteries for me that I will get to the bottom of one day. The other two plants that I failed with are Ashy Pipewort (Eriocaulon Cinereum) & Tonina Fluviatilis.

No doubt all of the failures were due to something I was or wasn't doing. Maybe wrong temps or not enough light. No doubt I'll try them again at some stage. I've got my hands full trying to get my newly aquaried Echinodorus Tenellus var 'Tenellus' to grow properly at the moment. At least with it I know what the problem is & was expecting it to be a problem before I even bought the plant.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nutter I'm surprised, must be some fairly picky plants if you couldn't grow them

For those interested, here's links to the other 2 Nutter had trouble with.... they look good too

Shame, I really liked the look of the red floater for my own tank

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Shame, I really liked the look of the red floater for my own tank
So give them a try. Just because I couldn't get them going doesn't mean you can't. The Red Floater is pretty hard to find in Perth (got LFS to special order it) but I think there are a few places it can be ordered from online.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LOL @ Nutter.... all the good stuff seems hard to find here in Aus, I've been to every large aquarium in Melbourne, and still can't find US Fissidens but I can get them online.

Back to the OP's question, are there any other non-green floaters suitable for an aquarium (I think there's a few for ponds)?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There's not many floaters that are not green. Perhaps Red Foxtail (Myriophyllum Tuberculatum - I think) if the conditions are right.

It's on a restricted list in Aus but should be very commonly available in the US.

Here's a list of some restricted plants in Aus that may interest you Ryan:
You will be surprised at a few of the names on there. It seems that not much attention is paid to that list considering Sword, Cryptocoryne Wendtii Tropica & Anubius are on the list. I have half of those plants in my tanks right now!!

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have red root floater in my tank right now and can attest to the difficulty in keeping this plant. It has done well and reproduced for me but I had to double my potassium dose and create a net barrier to keep it out of the area where the HOB filter returns the water. This plant does not like water movement and just absorbs nutrients so fast.If I miss one day of dosing the plant shows K deficiency! This also makes water changes difficult as the leaves are fairly delicate. It also likes VERY bright light. It reproduces very fast once it gets settled. It is very beautiful though and get little flowers on top occasionally. The roots when the plant is healthy are long and red as well....not mine so far. LOL

GBR.Moorrreeee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What green floaters are there that can go to 8.2? I like the look of the red floater but i'm by no means ready for it.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have trouble with red rooted floater also. I think I keep my tanks too warm for it. It does well for a bit then just fades away

My Multis loved watersprite (I know it's green ) floating on top.
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom