Plants For Goldfish Question 

GoldfishBreeder

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I am in the process of creating a self sustaining ecosystem and moving my goldfish into a bigger tank. I would like to know what kind of plants goldfish will eat and not eat so much that they eat all of it or kill them. I also wanted to add some white cloud mountain minnows to the tank and I was wondering what kind of plants they would eat.

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Many people keep anubias in their goldfish tank. Usually, goldfish won't touch anubias due to its bitter taste.

Donovan Jones

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mine never eat hornwort or anacaris, and if they do, it grows too quick to notice.

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
GoldfishBreeder said:
I am in the process of creating a self sustaining ecosystem and moving my goldfish into a bigger tank. I would like to know what kind of plants goldfish will eat and not eat so much that they eat all of it or kill them. I also wanted to add some white cloud mountain minnows to the tank and I was wondering what kind of plants they would eat.
Hello Gold...

I can tell you they won't bother Java fern, Onion or Banana plants.

Old

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have vallisneria and anubias coffeefolia in with my goldfish. I never fertilized it, but I had some swords in one of my tanks and so it died. But they didn't eat it. They eat anacharis, hornwort, and duckweed as supplemental food.

Foxxway

Valued Member
Reaction score
FYI, goldfish are jerks, lol. Biggie Smalls:emoji_whale2:, Tupac:emoji_whale:, Slick Rick:emoji_shark: and the rest of the hip hop posse :blackalien: in my pond ate ALL the duckweed, cabomba, elodea,etc. The only thing they let grow out is water hyacinth. :emoji_cactus:

Princethepurplebetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My goldfish like to eat anything leafy (mainly sword plants) the only thing they havent touched so far is the jungle val, moss balls, anubias and tiger lilly. Good luck! :)

Wardonianfungus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My goldfish haven’t touched my moss balls though they aren’t too big yet. Java fern, Anubias, water lettuce, amazon swords, and Hornwort most goldfish leave alone. Duckweed and java moss once established can get eaten and grow back fast enough.

ojdgtjc

Valued Member
Reaction score
Wardonianfungus said:
My goldfish haven’t touched my moss balls though they aren’t too big yet. Java fern, Anubias, water lettuce, amazon swords, and Hornwort most goldfish leave alone. Duckweed and java moss once established can get eaten and grow back fast enough.
that may be true sometimes, but my old goldfish ate my java fern, and my amazon sword

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Any plant that is fast growing or sturdy will work. Anubius is a good option, so are vals.

Wardonianfungus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ojdgtjc said:
that may be true sometimes, but my old goldfish ate my java fern, and my amazon sword
Like I said, most goldfish. Amazon sword I’m not that surprised, but the most damaging thing they can do to amazon sword is uproot it, usually. They usually don’t like java fern because it’s bitter and hard to break off.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom