Plants for Bettas?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Ay1a, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Ay1aValued MemberMember

Hello everyone I am looking into getting my first fish for my first tank and I'm coming to the conclusion of a Betta Fish. I am doing a bit of browsing and have decided to get some real plants for my Betta so that he/she can hide in them and just have a bit more of a better environment.

So to get to my point, how would some Java Moss do with a Betta? Or is there some plant(s) that someone can recommend to me that they would like? And also for lighting my tank was just a simple beginners kit that came with a over hood light and would just like to know if Java Moss would be alright with that or is there some sort of plant that I can use that can stand light from about 10 AM until 9ish or so at night.

2. bassbonediva

bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

Java moss would be fine. It's nice and low maintenance and grows like a weed. Make sure that your hood is flourescent, not incandescent, though. Java fern and anubias would make a lovely addition to your tank as well. Just beware...plants are ADDICTING! I started out with one or two live plants in one of my tanks...now ALL of my tanks are moderately to heavily planted. :p

3. OP
    OP
    A

Ay1aValued MemberMember

Alright, I'll go with the Java Moss then I suppose. :)
    But my tank is only 10 gallons and if Java Moss grows quick and big I don't think I'll be buying a lot of plants (hopefully) :p

4. bassbonediva

I have what started out as a 4" by 4" ball of java, willow, Taiwan and flame mosses. It grew to be so big in my 55gal tank that it filled the front corner (I just let it sit in there, didn't stretch it out or anything). You can always trim it and give the excess away to friends. That's what I do with my hornwort that's literally taking over my 55gal.

5. OP
    OP
    A

Ay1aValued MemberMember

Okay. :p Yeah looking at pictures on Google I figured I'd have to trim it a bit. lol
    But seeing how you're also a Betta person (I think (lol) is there any specific kind of color Betta I should look for in Petsmart/Petco/Walmart? Like will any one be hardier then the next?

My tank is cycled and such but I just don't want a dead fish on my hands early into the hobby.

Ahh, sorry everyone but just one more question. Is there possibility that the Betta can get trapped in the Java Moss? Looking at pictures of it it looks like it can get tangled and do they interact well with Driftwood at all? Like for a place for them to hide?

:animal0068:Hello, I've merged your posts since they were back to back with no response between. Don't forget about the EDIT key at the bottom of every post that you can use for corrections and additional thoughts. It helps to save a little space on the forum.
    Thanks!
    Ken
    Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2010
  6. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Hi and welcome to FL Rachel! :)

Your betta won't get tangled in the moss. All the bettas I've kept love it. They will hang out in it and lay around in the moss clump.. it is too cute! I totally agree with Paige's plant recommendations (again, as long as you have fluorescent lighting instead of incandescent), and would like to throw in a suggestion for cryptocorynes as well.

In my experience, bettas like driftwood. However, make sure you choose a smooth piece that he can't snag his fins on. A good rule of thumb is, if a decoration snags a pair of pantyhose, you probably shouldn't use it for a betta.

7. OP
    OP
    A

Ay1aValued MemberMember

Alright, guess I'll pick up a few plants either at a store or once I can I'll buy from members off of the website. Thanks for all of the info, was a big help. :D
    Appreciate it!!

Sorry if I'm asking so many questions but I just have one more for the night (hopefully lol)
    When I do buy my Betta, if he comes in a cup, how do I introduce him into the tank? Just scoop him right in with a net?
    I apologize for all of the questions again I just want to be able to do this right without causing to much stress on the fish and making him feel as comfortable as possible in a new home.

:animal0068:Hello, I've merged your posts since they were back to back with no response between.
    Thanks!
    Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2010
  8. trinket

trinketWell Known MemberMember

If you're buying driftwood (and soak it to get tannins out-you don't want tea colored water, I'm guessing. I boiled my mopani wood for 2 days [watched carefully] and my water still gets slightly tea-colored) you can buy some plants that will grow onto it. I have done this with an anubias, you just gently tie it onto the wood using cotton thread-my anubias grew tons of new roots so fast! Java moss does this as well (some of my moss has clung onto the driftwood on it's own in my tank without me tying it on there). And java fern, I'm sure there are others but these are the easy to care for varieties I'm familiar with.

My fish seems to really like the hornwort. I think it's because most bettas stick to the mid to top levels of the tank and hornwort can either be floated or one end can be lightly buried so it grows upright-my betta is always making large bubble nests in the parts of hornwort that reach the surface. I've caught him resting on it a few times as well.

When you bring your betta home you will want to acclimate him to your tank water. The way I would do it is introduce small amounts of your tank water into his container over time until it's full, then take out half of the water from the betta container, and repeat so that eventually, the water the betta is in, is mostly your tank's water. You can use an air hose to drip into the container or just spoon the small amounts in.

This article also explains some other methods
    https://www.fishlore.com/acclimating-tropicalfish.htm

9. Tigerfishy

TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

Glad you picked a betta, you'll have so much fun with one!

Spend some time to acclimate him. I usually float the bag (I'm lucky I don't see cups often) or cup in the tank to get the water to the same temp, and slowly add some water every 15 mins or so for about an hour...

OR you can use the drip method. Run a quick search on here to find the exact method.

EDIT: Ninjaed by trinket lol. I'm at work and in between my actual job, it can take half an hour to get a post written!!

10. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning!

A couple of links you may find helpful:
    https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/betta-fish-care-guide.htm
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/betta-fish/14253-important-betta-topics-read-first.html
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...lcome-betta-care-guide-please-read-first.html

Acclimation:
    https://www.fishlore.com/acclimating-tropicalfish.htm

I have java moss, anubias and Japanese Marimo Balls (moss balls) in my Betta boy, Wriggley, tank. All are low light and doing well. Wriggley loves to lay on, in and under the java moss. He's never gotten tangled.

Best of luck. :camera:
    Ken

11. OP
    OP
    A

Ay1aValued MemberMember

Alright, just watched the Drip Method video and read about it so I'm sure I can use that when I buy my Betta. ;D
    Thanks for the help everyone, has been a great learning experience and I hope to learn more as I stay here.

12. bassbonediva

13. OP
    OP
    A

Ay1aValued MemberMember

Wow, so it seems that a lot of these plants can grow pretty quick. :eek:
    But I'm going to go with some Java Moss for the bottom region so he can rest there and then get a tall plant for him just need to decide on that now. :p

Hey everyone, new question came up. I now know that Bettas work well with many different types of plants but I'm curious as to what plants are actually in the Bettas real environment because I'd like to make him feel right at home. I'm still Googling which plants are actually there, and what would the best substrate be for a 10 gallon tank that will become heavily planted for 1 Betta? I just want to make him feel like home for the weekend. :p

:animal0068:Hello, I've merged your back to back posts.
    Thanks!
    Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2010
  14. ppate1977

ppate1977Well Known MemberMember

Your betta will enjoy most any plant. I have java moss, java fern, hornwort, anubias, a marimo ball and two other plants who's names escape me now.... all in a 10gal for my betta. I also have driftwood that has anubias and java moss attached to it. He loves it all, and I like real plants so much better than fake. I do have to trim often.

15. OP
    OP
    A

Ay1aValued MemberMember

Alright, I'll go with the suggestions from earlier then. :p Just want to make him feel comfortable and not stress him out so he can live a good healthy life. XD

16. ppate1977

ppate1977Well Known MemberMember

Sounds like you will take great care of him/her. By the way, I'm fairly positive whatever home you put him/her in will be the best home the fish has ever seen. I doubt any commercially sold bettas have ever been in their native environment.

17. OP
    OP
    A

Ay1aValued MemberMember

Alright, didn't know that they hadn't seen their real environment.
    I'm just trying to prepare as much as I can so they can have as much fun as possible when I get them.

18. CharlemagneValued MemberMember

Hi there! So glad you decided to get a betta! They're such fun fish. I have 2 at the moment, and I love them both so much. I never knew fish could have personalities till I got my first betta. I'm glad you're going with a planted tank. They're so pretty! My mom really wants to make our 29 gal. planted, so I'm looking into that. Don't forget to post pics of your new boy! Everyone here loves pics, lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice