plants for betta tank Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by trailblazer295, Mar 30, 2010.

1. t

trailblazer295 Well Known Member Member

Hey guys

I'm planning my 5.5g betta tank and will need some new plants. The filter will be cycled no worries there (was already cycled and currently hooked up to 30g to get it going). What kinds of plants work well with betta?

2. i

ilikefish Valued Member Member

With a betta? anything works fine really... They can't do too much... All that really matters is what your lighting is like... Can you tell us what kind of lighting you have?

3. angelfish220

angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

Make sure it is all small things or things that could easily be trimmed. I'd steer away from any floating plants as bettas need to be able to reach the surface easily.

4. OP
    OP
    t

Aqua-Glo bulb single tube 8w

5. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

With that light Java Fern & Java Moss MAYBE. Best to go for something like Water Wisteria that can be left floating & will get more intense light. Contrary to the above advice aobut floating plants, Bettas really appreciate them. You just need to make sure that at least 50% of the tanks surface is plant free so the fish can get to the surface.

6. OP
    OP
    t

I have had cabomba in before and they did fine. What other plants are similar in care?

7. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

8. OP
    OP
    t

Wow that looks a lot bigger than a 6.6g tank.

9. i

ilikefish Valued Member Member

Right? lol... Nice job Ken!... Work of art! :)

10. N

Neji Valued Member Member

For my betta tank which is a 10 gallon, I put in Hygrophilas, amazon swords, java ferns, anubias and crypts :) usually with the hygros, I have to do a lot of maintenance with them because they grow fast in my opinion because I trim them every two weeks because they get too tall and almost reach out of the tank! The thing I found out about them is that if I cut the plants at the stems and leave the plants with their leaves still attached, then they will form roots after a week or so :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice