Plants for Beginners

EmpPleco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that you would need 20 watts for a 10 gallon, just because the 50 watts for the 25 gallon is exactly doubled? Maybe that's totally going about it the wrong way. I'm not sure ??? lol I would definitely wait for a second opinion

not4you

Valued Member
Reaction score
Carol, no wet noodle needed Thanks for the info.

Isabella, I wasn't thinking of adding that much light 8) Metal halides are a pretty strong light, I was thinking of something more along the lines of a more powerful florescent than what I have now a 19 watt. I guess before I do anything I'll need to get some real plants. I'm waiting to add plants after I remove my UGF. But it's good to know that low light plants are capable of receiving more light.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I think that a wattage a little bit more than regular, will be OK for anubias and javas

Jason

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I love Anubias especially the Nana variety gonna attach one to my rockwork in my new tank and hopefully a larger variety that's taller with big leaves for the back area

EmpPleco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Can anubias plant their roots in the substrate? I was thinking of buying some really pretty potted anubias yesterday at my lfs, but didn't read enough about them. They didnt have the java fern that I wanted

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I think anubias should be attached to surfaces (driftwood being the best option). I think they do better when attached. But you may want to ask Gunnie or Carol about that to make sure.

Jon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
hey I just bought some java ferns today... one of them is in some gravel and one of them I attached to a rock... I know driftwood would be a good idea but my lfs only had ginormous peices of driftwood that would not even fit in my tank.

ps java ferns can live without supplements right? and they don't need more than 1.5 wpg right?

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Jon,
You can't bury the roots too deep on your java ferns. That's why most folks attach them to driftwood.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The Anubias can be planted,the rhizome cannot be covered, or attached to rocks or wood. Java fern grows best when attached to rocks or wood.
The Java Fern will pull nutrients from the water.
Carol

EmpPleco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
OK so I have a piece of driftwood in my tank already, so I will attach an anubia to that. I'm sorry, but what is rhizome?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Here is an excellent explanation and picture

Carol

EmpPleco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool, ThankS! And these have to stay above the substrate?

Jon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
will my java fern be ok in the gravel though? one is on a rock but I don't really have anything else to attach the other one to

Jon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
turns out I got a free java fern... 2 of them had there roots a little tangled but they slid apart just fine... I attached all 3 to the rock with fishing line just to be sure and my gouramI loves to swim around the rock and ferns... how long until the roots will attach? the one I strung on 8 hours ago seemed to have already started to attach a little

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Probably at least a month until it is attached firmly. Glad your fish like them
Carol

wilfie

Reaction score
??? ???CAROL

What is the PURPLE plant in the lower left of
picture #2???? : :

and can I just put plants in a newly set up tank
before I put the fish in even before it's been cycled?????

WILFIE

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wilfie that is a red melon sword (Echinodorus x barthii). You can put plants in at start -up. Heres information on setting up your first planted tank.

Carol

wilfie

Reaction score
;D ;DBUTTERFLY

Thanx for your prompt reply

I'll check it out

WILFIE :-* :-*

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads