Plants For A Shrimp Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by guppylover228, Apr 7, 2017.

1. guppylover228

guppylover228 Valued Member Member

I'm planning on making a low maintenance (no co2) filterless shrimp tank. But I want to plant some plants in the tank first to go through the nitrogen cycle and all that good stuff. All that is to say my tank is only about 6 inches high so I'd love some plants that won't grow too tall. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be super greatful.

2. Little Tank of Happiness

Little Tank of Happiness Well Known Member Member

Gallons?

Marimo moss balls are good -- nearly impossible to kill, they are fluffy little decorative balls, and shrimp love to hide in it. I think java moss is another great one. They don't require special lighting imo.

3. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

I would suggest getting a moss mat! My shrimps love them, you could also just get a clump of moss and put some substrate on top to weight it down. Java moss as mentioned above is one of the easier types of moss.

Crypt wendtii and dwarf sag are also good options

4. OP
    OP
    guppylover228

guppylover228 Valued Member Member

Where would I be able to buy a moss mat? Is it already grown together or do I have to grow one on my own?

5. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Probably amazon, eBay, or aquabid
    A lot of the time they come attached to wood

6. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

Ebay is a great site! Also Aquatic Arts is another place! You could also create your own :) I have 3 that I just started(had a big mat and then decide to make 3), I also have a big blotch(from first mat) that is in the substrate
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. ashenwelt

ashenwelt Well Known Member Member

You can also make a mat with the plastic mesh at most craft stores. Just weight the corners.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice