Plants For A Shrimp Tank

guppylover228

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm planning on making a low maintenance (no co2) filterless shrimp tank. But I want to plant some plants in the tank first to go through the nitrogen cycle and all that good stuff. All that is to say my tank is only about 6 inches high so I'd love some plants that won't grow too tall. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be super greatful.

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would suggest getting a moss mat! My shrimps love them, you could also just get a clump of moss and put some substrate on top to weight it down. Java moss as mentioned above is one of the easier types of moss.

Crypt wendtiI and dwarf sag are also good options

OP
guppylover228

guppylover228

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Al913 said:
I would suggest getting a moss mat! My shrimps love them, you could also just get a clump of moss and put some substrate on top to weight it down. Java moss as mentioned above is one of the easier types of moss.

Crypt wendtiI and dwarf sag are also good options
Where would I be able to buy a moss mat? Is it already grown together or do I have to grow one on my own?

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
guppylover228 said:
Where would I be able to buy a moss mat? Is it already grown together or do I have to grow one on my own?
Probably amazon, eBay, or aquabid
A lot of the time they come attached to wood

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ebay is a great site! Also Aquatic Arts is another place! You could also create your own I have 3 that I just started(had a big mat and then decide to make 3), I also have a big blotch(from first mat) that is in the substrate
a8df3ed0a8e1d3879bd90fdce9b89cc5.jpg
2b7dfea92d26a93a8b55317f6ef86ac3.jpg
790cccec760f0abffd464699345efe9b.jpg

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator