Plants for a Low-Tech 29 Gallon Jack Dempsey Tank?

Bry

So, the only plants I have successfully kept is Anachris Elodea(spelling?), Dwarf Lilys, and Java Ferns.
What I have is a 29 gallon tank, with small gravel about 2-3 inches deep, driftwood which has leaked some tannins that I'm not mad about, a Sun-Glo bulb-ed light. Stocked with 2 clown plecos, a dozenish Ghost Shrimp and a baby Electric Blue Jack Dempsey (he's about an inch). I do have a bottle of Excel plant fertilizer.
I currently have two bulbs of dwarf lilys that are doing pretty well, but I want something green and bushy/leafy to put around the driftwood. I was looking at maybe some Madagascar Lace plants? I do like the Java Ferns I have in my 55, but I want something... textured? More interesting? But I'm new to plants so I don't know what would suit the kind of environment/lowtech.
Any advice is appreciated! I've heard that reddish plants are harder to keep?
I've added a few different plants to my Watchlist on Ebay, if I listed them would it help? Could someone tell me if I could keep them?

jake37

First don't use excel to 'fertilize' your plants. It is more of an algae killer than a fertilizer.

Not sure i would put a madagascar lace plant with your fish - first they prefer temp on the cooler side (mid 70's work better than high 70's or 80's); but also they are a little bit fragile - mine never could make it with the clown loaches constantly bumping it.

sword plants are pretty robust - as long the fish doens't decide to eat every leaf i'd start with those - some of them are pretty nice - i just a nice red melon (I know you want green). You could also try a rosette sword - these are small very green sword plants with some texture. They won't outgrow a 29. Only trick is making sure they can get established before he digs them up.
-
You could try a crypt wenditi green. There is also aponogeton bolivianus which has a lovely darker green texture leaf. This is mine (at the front middle of the tank - you should plant it at the back or middle - i didn't know better):
-
I think the bolivianus combined with a few rosette swords will make you happy giving a contrast in dark and lighter green.

x2.jpg

Upvote 0

Mike1995

You will need to put the jack Dempsey in a larger tank for multiple reasons. For one 29g is too small. But once he gets big enough don't expect to see anymore shrimp. They'll become snacks.
Once a jack gets to adult size, plants won't last long.

Upvote 0

Bry

You will need to put the jack Dempsey in a larger tank for multiple reasons. For one 29g is too small. But once he gets big enough don't expect to see anymore shrimp. They'll become snacks.
Once a jack gets to adult size, plants won't last long.
I know, I plan to move him to my 55 once he's bigger. But right now my six inch blood Parrots would probably munch him, so this is being used as a grow out.
I bought the shrimps to be snacks, but right now hes too small so all he does is chase them around.
At least for now, he isnt bothering the Lilys so I thought I would try to actually plant this tank.

Upvote 0

Bry

First don't use excel to 'fertilize' your plants. It is more of an algae killer than a fertilizer.

sword plants are pretty robust - as long the fish doens't decide to eat every leaf i'd start with those - some of them are pretty nice - i just a nice red melon (I know you want green). You could also try a rosette sword - these are small very green sword plants with some texture. They won't outgrow a 29. Only trick is making sure they can get established before he digs them up.
-
You could try a crypt wenditi green. There is also aponogeton bolivianus which has a lovely darker green texture leaf. This is mine (at the front middle of the tank - you should plant it at the back or middle - i didn't know better):
-
I think the bolivianus combined with a few rosette swords will make you happy giving a contrast in dark and lighter green.
Well dang, I bought it because it said it was good for planted aquariums.:inpain: And it said Flourish, so healthy plants right? Are there any good liquid fertilizers I could get?
The green was a main thing, but honestly I wanted a few different plants. The Lilys I have are a pale green/rosey color.
I love the rosettes! I looked into swords but they all got huge! Right now the Opal (the Jack) hasn't been moving rocks around....yet. I figured it'd be good to plant while he's still a baby.
I actually almost bought the wenditi last night! I loved it's look.
Oooo... if I can get a bolivianus I think I want one of the green/red instead of solid green, those are so cool looking!
In looking at my tank and thinking of where the plants will go and thinking of the finished look and I'm pretty excited. As much as I love driftwood, I thought it needed a bit of something to break it up a bit.
Also, what is that red/green plant at the front left of your tank?

Upvote 0

jake37

I think you got confused - the picture was bolivianus - the rosette swords do not get big they are sword plants.
bolivanus does not come in red - sorry.
-
for fertilizer you can try thrive or sachem flourish.
--
the red/green plant in the left front corner is a red melon sword.

Well dang, I bought it because it said it was good for planted aquariums.:inpain: And it said Flourish, so healthy plants right? Are there any good liquid fertilizers I could get?
The green was a main thing, but honestly I wanted a few different plants. The Lilys I have are a pale green/rosey color.
I love the rosettes! I looked into swords but they all got huge! Right now the Opal (the Jack) hasn't been moving rocks around....yet. I figured it'd be good to plant while he's still a baby.
I actually almost bought the wenditi last night! I loved it's look.
Oooo... if I can get a bolivianus I think I want one of the green/red instead of solid green, those are so cool looking!
In looking at my tank and thinking of where the plants will go and thinking of the finished look and I'm pretty excited. As much as I love driftwood, I thought it needed a bit of something to break it up a bit.
Also, what is that red/green plant at the front left of your tank?

Upvote 0

Bry

I think you got confused - the picture was bolivianus - the rosette swords do not get big they are sword plants.
bolivanus does not come in red - sorry.
-
for fertilizer you can try thrive or sachem flourish.
--
the red/green plant in the left front corner is a red melon sword.
Well, my LFS had everything! So I now have two Weniti, one red one green, a Bolivianus, and a Rosette. I was going to get two Bolivianus, but the only had one.
I also bought the Seachem Flourish. And have the Flourish Excel at home.
I'm so excited! I wish they had had more grown plants, the Weniti are small right now. I'm just impatient for it to look how I envision lol
(Also it is so much easier plant shopping when I have their names!)

Upvote 0

Bry

So... everything has been in the tank about a week now. The Bolivianus looks good, but the Weniti is a bit droopy, and the Rosette's leaves are getting a little see through and not as green..... Are they getting used to the tank...? Did I do something wrong so fast?

Upvote 0

jake37

Normal for crypt to 'die' and then regrow; the rosette is a bit more concerning esp if the leaves are emerged form. If they are submerged form the old leaves will die

Upvote 0

Bry

The first image is the pile of Weniti... the second is the rosette, some leaves are still bright green and good and some are kinda brown and see through

Attachments

• 20200724_120820.jpg
    20200724_120820.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 20200724_120830.jpg
    20200724_120830.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 48
Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bry