Plants For A 10 Gallon Question

1. ajoyfulbettta

ajoyfulbettta Valued Member Member

hi! i have never kept plants before, and looking to start up a new divided 10g with plants for a more natural look, what are some recommendations, what they provide for a tank, and how to take care of them. looking for the easiest to take care of, and some i can find locally, not online :) i'm planning on getting this led, not sure what requirements are for plants, and the fish are bettas if that helps! pics would be awesome to see some cool plants :)
    NICREW ClassicLED Aquarium Light, .../B0191EWII2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_wBDjBbA2SV869

2. BettaFishKeeper4302

BettaFishKeeper4302 Well Known Member Member

Hey, i am doing the same thing. I have a 10g divided into threes and 3 female bettas. I already have 3 live plants which are marimo moss balls. Also you should get beginner plants like java fern. Thats what im getting eventually. Also just look up more beginner type plants.

3. E

E150GT Valued Member Member

I can't see the link as it doesn't work but I bet the output isn't all that great. If thats the case, I would stick to crypts and anubias. Staples in the planted tank world. I have a 10 gallon that is bare now but I plan to plant it. I am going to get an aqueon incandescent hood for it and get 2 CFL 6500k lamps from home depot. I think those would be way better for plants than those cheap LED fixtures on eBay. Thats basically what I have on my 5.5 with just one lamp and they plants are really doing well. I have crypts and anubias mostly and I just added some anachris and water wisteria and some dwarf sag. I am not sure how the dwarf sag is going to do but the rest are growing well and should in your 10 gallon. I had some amazon swords that were doing well in there too, but I took them out and placed them in my 29 when I got it.

4. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

I have that light on a 20-gallon saltwater tank. I will be upgrading it soon, as I’m interested in anemones. However, I’d say that it’s done an incredible job for my current soft and hard corals, so I’m sure it’ll do great with aquatic plants in such a small tank. Amazon swords, anarchis, anubias, ocelot swords, java fern, dwarf sagittaria, etc. are all great for beginners. Just make sure to use root tabs and fertilizers for the plants that need it :)

5. E

E150GT Valued Member Member

So I looked the link. Looks like the 20" to 27" LED is a little over 600 lumens. One 13 watt CFL is 810 lumens from home depot and the 10 gallon incandescent hood takes two. The incandescent hood would cost a little more but theres nothing to go wrong except cheap bulbs burning out. Theres more usable light though. I looked hard at these types of LED and decided against using them for this reason.

6. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Hi there,

I’m not sure where “locally” is but the most common plants that are sold in mostly every petco and petsmart are java fern, anubias and amazon swords. They are really easy, low light plants. Good for beginners. For java fern and anubias, you should not bury the rhizome, it’s where all of the leaves come from.

Plants help with the water quality. They use the nitrates that naturally occur in your tank as food. They also use any ammonia that is present. This does not mean you should lack on your water changes. You should still be doing your weekly water changes.

The plants I mentioned are really easy plants and need little to no maintenance. They are again, low light plants so the nicrew LED light would be fine for those plants.