Plants & Fluval Stratum substrate

1. Goldilocks Initiate Member

I have 4 freshwater plants from Petsmart, but I can't remember their names. I am also using fluval stratum substrate. My question is if I need to add anything to the substrate to feed the plants.

Also, I noticed a couple tips of one of my grassy plants had some fungus-like algae on them, so I cut those tips off. I hope that isn't a bad sign of some bigger problem to come?

A third issue: one of my plant's (the same grassy one with the algae) roots won't stay planted. The ends of the roots keep floating up through the substrate. Is it okay to leave it like this?

2. JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

Well I have 12 Java ferns, 2 Java moss balls, and a Anubis in my fluval and all doing well I also put API root tabs in to help them stay healthy and they have been doing great. Plus it helps to have good lights for the plants. If you could remember the names of the plants I am sure one of us could help you.

3. JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

And yes it is okay for the roots to be coming out of the substrate.

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I have moved your thread from Freshwater Beginners to Aquarium Plants section of the forum.

Thanks!

Ken

5. Goldilocks Initiate Member

I finally went back to the store to get the names of the plants that I got back in March:

-Red Ludwigia - Seems to be doing fine. There are some brown holes in some of them, but those were there from day one. One of the bunches has doubled in length already!
    -Mondo Grass - Seems okay but the tips are still browning and the brown spreads farther down the leaves. They may be slowly dying?
    -Green and White Acorus - A couple of the leaves have gone opaque-ish so I think it might be dying.
    -Assorted sword plant - Has a few brown spots, but seems generally fine. It has grown quite a bit since I got it.

All I have in my tank is a fluval stratum substrate, "Equilibrium" powder, and I have some coral to help maintain pH as well. Should I be putting in some tablets for the plants?

Thanks!

6. JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

The Equilbrium power I have heard can soak up all the iron the plants need. Either the tabs or Flourish Excel can help with the plants The Acorus needs to have the most light and can not be in the direct flow of the filter. What type of fish are in the tank?

7. Goldilocks Initiate Member

The chief speaker at the Vancouver Aquatic Hobbyist Society at the Vancouver Aquarium told me that the Equilibrium would help with my plants so I don't think I'll change that out. But possibly I should switch the red ludwigia to the back and the acorus to the front since they are currently vice versa. That way the acorus will get more sunlight. The acorus is on the opposite side of the tank from the filter, so that is okay. Do you know about using tabs with fluval stratum substrate? Is it the same: just as necessary and just as effective?

I have one male betta and 3 blue danios (I know I need to get one more since they are happiest in 4's).

8. JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

My fault about the power I miss red the name if you are using that you should be fine. I would just mix it in some tank water before adding it to the tank. I would watch the Danios with the Betta and make sure they all have their own hide aways. Other than that you should just sit back and enjoy your tank :)