Plants + Ferts/CO2

1. Skyy2112 Member Member

Hey all. I really love planted tanks. However, i cant do CO2. Bit expensive for my current prices etc.

I run a 20g w/ shrimp. They have an assortment of plants. Currently working on baby tears. (Snipped some tops, and snipped roots)

Ludwigia Repens, maybe an amazon sword, etc.

Currently just a gravel tank. (Dirt in the future, eventually way out CO2 maybe.)

I have a gro-lite bulb, seems to make all the plants nice and green.

What can I do for dosing? I have a bottle of Seachem Flourish I've dosed 1mL sunday(or sat) and another 1mL wednesday. (Probably twice a week from now on)

I use a syringe for it, feel super cool doing it that way.

Should I be adding CO2? --- I want to grow my plants more. I feel this is a good idea.

I added flourish to get the nutrients into the plants a bit be/f I start dosing w/ liquid Carbon...

So. Should I add CO2?

I'm running an Aquaclear 50 (((with carbon))) (Sponge on intake, set on low) Will this provide enough water agitation/oxygen for my shrimp? I'm debating on adding my sponge filter (40) on a low bubble setting maybe?? Its been in a 40g breeder w/ my cichlids getting a bacteria colony.

Not sure if I'm missing anything. Lemme know. =]

Im a newbie.

2. MinhMai Member Member

With just those plants CO2 is unnecessary. That said CO2 would make plants grow better and faster assuming they have enough light. If your light is considered low light then adding CO2 won't benefit very much. Also you can try to make a DIY CO2 setup if you feel up to it, cost me ~$23. ($10 diffuser, $3 Gatorade I had to drink, $5 silicone sealant, $3 yeast and sugar, $2 plumbing seal tape.)

3. Skyy2112 Member Member

Would you do a small post on your DIY CO2? Would love that.

4. Skyy2112 Member Member

Thanks. My tank should be considered high light. How would you describe "high light"? W/G? I think usually 2-4W/g is good light. I know my bulb gives the correct temp for 'sun' lighting.

5. MinhMai Member Member

Most people seem to say medium light is 2-3wpg and high light is >3wpg. My tank is all low tech so it has two CFLs putting out 2.3wpg in total.

My DIY CO2 setup is simply 3x 500ml Gatorade bottles. I put white plumbing seal tape around the mouths of all 3 bottles to ensure an airtight seal when the caps go on. I burned a hole into two of the caps to connect them to the third cap which has 3 holes burned into it. (Used a hot nail, pliers, and my stove) I connected the bottles with silicone air line and ran one airline from the third bottle to a glass diffuser I bought. To ensure a good seal on the tube connections, you'll want to apply 100% silicone sealant to all the connections to the bottles. Wait 24 hours for the sealant to set. Then put a solution of 1/2 cup sugar w/ 1tsp of bakers yeast in 500ml to each of the solution bottles. (The ones with single airline connections) 2 days later and CO2 bubbles started coming out the diffuser.

When it runs out refill the bottles with a new solution of sugar water and yeast. As a bonus, you just created "wine." Although it's probably not very tasty unless you do this with honey instead of sugar, then you have "Mead."

[​IMG]