Plants dying

Lilthuglet

Hi All,

I have planted my tank with Java Moss (Taxiphyllum barbieri) , Java Fern (Microsorum Pteropus), Floating Fern (Salvinia Natans), Bacopa (Bacopa Caroliniana) and Spike Grass (Eleocharis Parvula).

The bacopa isn't doing well at all, and neither is the Floating Fern by comparison to my other tank where it has loads of little roots dropping down into the water and is getting to the point where I need to thin it. The Spike Grass, Java Moss and Java Fern seem to be doing well.

The nitrites have been a bit high recently, (I'm working on it) and are currently at 0.25 ppm. The Nitrates have been at about 5.0 ppm. The tank is a SuperFish Home 40 with built in LED lights that are on about 12 hours a day. The tanks also get a reasonable amout of indirect sunlight. Temps are 24*c and there is a filter in place. I have just added an airstone as well.

The bacopa leaves are going translucent and nasty, once they fully die I am taking off the dead ones as I am concerned about decay effecting the water quality, they were planted on about the 21st of Aug ish. Am I being impatient or does it look like they aren't a good fit for this setup? If I can help them be healthier I'd love to but if they just won't work I'd rather take them out.

They have had the odd squirt of liquid fertiliser but less than the bottle recommends as I am worried about the effect on the fish in the tank.

Pictures:

30tall.jpg

bacopa.jpg

smee82

Ferts won't affect your fish at the recommended dose. Also dosing fert you need to follow a set
schedule otherwise you will get algae, you can't just add however much whenever you want.

On a side not 12hrs a day is to much light and if your using stock lights they're probably not designed for plants.

Upvote 0

Lilthuglet

Ferts won't affect your fish at the recommended dose. Also dosing fert you need to follow a set
schedule otherwise you will get algae, you can't just add however much whenever you want.

On a side not 12hrs a day is to much light and if your using stock lights they're probably not designed for plants.

Thanks for the info. I understood that the only problem with too much light was likely to be algae and I don't have any at all at the moment - can it cause other issues?

How does fertilising slightly less often cause algae? I'd have thought overdoing to would.

Upvote 0

smee82

Algae will adjust quicker then plants to nutrient imbalances.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Electrotech
Replies
Views
aoiumi
  • Question
Replies
Views
Lilthuglet