Plants dying

LauraDi

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello!

I've been trying my hand at planted tank for a month or so now, and they just don't seem to take. Currently, in my 29 gallon, I recently added Mayaca Fluviatilis and Anubias Nana Mother. I upgraded my light to a "Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights".

I purchased those two plants from Aquarium Plants Factory, specifically because it said they didn't require CO2 or intense lighting. I have a nutrient substrate in there, and was dosing weekly with "Tropica Premium Nutrition" as directed. Then I had an algae bloom so I dropped back on that.

Even with the Tropica, the plants just started failing. The mayaca has turned very pale, and the anubias are a mess all around.

Any tips? I'm reticent to add CO2 because I'm scared I'll mess that up and suffocate my fish. I've also had more of a nitrate spike for the past 3 weeks than I've had the whole year and some change I've been running this tank. It's been steady around 40 for the past 2 weeks even with 50% water changes and the addition of an "API crystal Bio-chem zorb".

This morning a couple anubias just floated to the surface and it looks almost like their stalks frayed at the roots.

I hope this was enough info, and I appreciate your time!
IMG_20200322_112808.jpg
IMG_20200322_112804.jpg
IMG_20200322_112757.jpg
IMG_20200322_150626.jpg

OP
LauraDi

LauraDi

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SnookusFish said:
How did you plant the anubias
Hello!

How do you mean? I cleared the substrate and buried the roots. Is that what you mean?

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
LauraDi said:
Hello!

How do you mean? I cleared the substrate and buried the roots. Is that what you mean?
Anubias should be attached to driftwood or a rock /object or it will rot. If you really want to plant it in gravel DO NOT BURY THE RHIZOME or it will rot

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah you should never bury the Anubis rhizome, the very end of roots are okay. Just attach the anubis to driftwood with the rhizome and top roots exposed. Place the anubis in the shade because they are low light and prone to grow algae. Clip off any dying, yellowing leaves. They won't recover and will stunt new growth. Ferts aren't necessary for Anubis, but can help. just move the plant on wood and leave it be. It should recover itself

Marijn Lange

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Blueberrybetta said:
Yeah you should never bury the Anubis rhizome, the very end of roots are okay. Just attach the anubis to driftwood with the rhizome and top roots exposed. Place the anubis in the shade because they are low light and prone to grow algae. Clip off any dying, yellowing leaves. They won't recover and will stunt new growth. Ferts aren't necessary for Anubis, but can help. just move the plant on wood and leave it be. It should recover itself
Sorry if I'm going off-topic but I am experiencing the same sort of problems with my Anubis. You said and I quote "Place the anubis in the shade because they are low light and prone to grow algae", what do you consider low lighting? I have a Juwel 400 aquarium with he standard four 54W lights and I have two of the four lights turned on for 7 hours a day. Is that too much lighting? They have like black spots on them and the leaves get ugly.

OP
LauraDi

LauraDi

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SnookusFish said:
Anubias should be attached to driftwood or a rock /object or it will rot. If you really want to plant it in gravel DO NOT BURY THE RHIZOME or it will rot
Oh man, thank you. I didn't know that at all. It makes total sense because I buried the entire thing :( should I dig them out and put the rhizome on top?

Blueberrybetta said:
Thank you! If I don't have any wood, would putting the rhizome on top be all right? On the part of the tank where they are, it's a bit of gravel but mostly ".

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
LauraDi said:
Oh man, thank you. I didn't know that at all. It makes total sense because I buried the entire thing :( should I dig them out and put the rhizome on top?
Dont worry I'm sure most people did it. At least its an easy fix, if the substrate is gravel you could have the rhizome on the surface and just the roots in the gravel but it will work better if you tie it to an object or even superglue it

OP
LauraDi

LauraDi

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SnookusFish said:
Dont worry I'm sure most people did it. At least its an easy fix, if the substrate is gravel you could have the rhizome on the surface and just the roots in the gravel but it will work better if you tie it to an object or even superglue it
Interesting! Okay thank you! I just watched a video about doing just this lol.

What kinds of objects would you recommend tying it to? All the LFS are closed because of COVID, and the driftwood I've seen online is beautiful but way outside my budget. Short of going to my local beach, any suggestions? Maybe some PVC pipe or a fishing weight?

Thanks again! You guys are all so great.

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Marijn Lange said:
Sorry if I'm going off-topic but I am experiencing the same sort of problems with my Anubis. You said and I quote "Place the anubis in the shade because they are low light and prone to grow algae", what do you consider low lighting? I have a Juwel 400 aquarium with he standard four 54W lights and I have two of the four lights turned on for 7 hours a day. Is that too much lighting? They have like black spots on them and the leaves get ugly.
I have some basic led lights that came with my tank. Your lights sound pretty high tech, but I do have floating plants and ludwigia shading the light from my anubis. I had an algae problem before so that's why

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
LauraDi said:
Interesting! Okay thank you! I just watched a video about doing just this lol.

What kinds of objects would you recommend tying it to? All the LFS are closed because of COVID, and the driftwood I've seen online is beautiful but way outside my budget. Short of going to my local beach, any suggestions? Maybe some PVC pipe or a fishing weight?

Thanks again! You guys are all so great.
Would you have any smooth flat rocks laying around ? You can super glue the anubis to the rock, let cure for 24 hours. Or you can get some clear fishing line , or twine to wrap the rhizome on top the rock and have the root buried in the substrate
Screenshot_20200323-195954_Gallery.jpg

OP
LauraDi

LauraDi

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Blueberrybetta said:
I have some basic led lights that came with my tank. Your lights sound pretty high tech, but I do have floating plants and ludwigia shading the light from my anubis. I had an algae problem before so that's why

I just ordered a couple of floating plants to see if that helps. And I can look for some rocks! I have some in the garden actually. Thank you for the suggestion!

New Threads