plants dying, ugh

Janmitch22

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have borneo (malaysian) swords and they just aren't doing well. They're browning and just falling off slowly. What should I do? Is it that they need gravel? They're in sand currently. Do they need a chemical pick-me-up?

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
In which one of your tanks are the sword plants? And what is the wattage over that tank? Could well that it's lighting that is too low. I don't know whether swords "love" gravel, but my guess would be that they prefer finer substrates, and substrates that are generally set up for a planted tank. My swords also don't do too well. They're alive but I also have some leaves decaying over time. I remove them regularly. Somehow the plants are still alive. It must be luck because they're rather at least moderate light plants and my light is VERY low!

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It's probably your lighting. I don't think the gravel would be an issue. I have seen them in all types of tanks. Lighting is usually the problem with these plants since most tanks have only standard lighting which is usually not enough for swords.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
this it

The top is aquatic and the bottom is not. They are both called Borneo swords. The bottom is frequently sold as aquatic.
Carol

Janmitch22

Valued Member
Reaction score
The top one, aglaonema simplex. I saw a guy walking around WalMart with "aquarium lighting for plants" or something like that. It was a strip light and I probably could use what he had. I wonder what section that'd be in...I should have asked.

Janmitch22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Sweet. I checked the fish aisle; they have 20 watt lights, but that's lower than what I have...sheesh. Lighting aisle it is!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom