Plants dying! Please help! Help 

Lktan

Reaction score
I am quite new to this hobby, have had this tank for around 3 weeks with plants inside. There are quite a bit of pond snails in there too, but that's about it other than some tiny seed shrimp.The tank was just fine the previous day but now, the s.repens developed holes in it and the zenkeri developed from purple into yellowish greenish leaves. there is also another plant which I can't identify which simply turned brown. The water is pH 6-7, 15 gallon tank with medium high lighting and filtration system. The tank temperature is around 25 degree Celsius. Can some one help me to identify the problem? Any help is appreciated!
IMG_20200117_191958.jpg
IMG_20200117_192001.jpg
IMG_20200117_192008.jpg

mimo91088

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They're melting back. New plants often die off as they adjust, but they should have new growth after they finish melting. Don't pluck the dying leaves just let them fall naturally. The plant will retain some of the nutrients out of the leaves.

Lktan

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! So I should just live them alone?

Chanyi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are you fertilizing?

I wouldn't let the decaying leaves sit there, that's a major contributor to algae.

What is the height of the tank?
What exact light are you using?
How long are you running the light for?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Agree, remove decaying and dying leaves. They contribute to algae.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am seeing an iron and potassium deficiency. Along with what seems to be the effects of a light that is not a plant light.

Dennis57

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree cut all leaves that do not look right, they will just eat up any nutrients that they can get and it will not matter at this time. Plants do melt back (die) after you put them in your tank. They will grow back as long as you have the right type of lighting, soil and you also need to use ferts for the plants. Even an all in 1 fert like Niloc Thrive C is very good and you can buy it on Amazon

Bunnycruizer

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What are you using for substrate? Depending on your soil the roots may not grow well. I have had better success glowing plants in sand and gravel with root tabs than any type of soil. I have found that soil compresses too much for the roots to grow through it, however others have not had this problem. Are you using natural ground water or treated water? All treated water must have dechlorinator added as chlorine will hurt your plants and fish. I hope this helps.

Lktan

Reaction score
I use tap water and sometimes rain water. The plants are grown I. Top soil covered with sand and gravel, and I add root tabs for plants with shorter roots like my for ground plants. The s. Repens does not have fertiliser as I planted it into the soil area, and neither do zenkeri. My tank is 45 cm tall, but I dont fill it to the top, more of half filled. The lights are on for 7 hours a day but I am not too sure what light that is, which is recommended by my LFS. There is some sunlight from the window. The s.repens and zenkeri are shaded by my large anubias, which is growing pretty well.

Lktan

Reaction score
The rain water is slightly around 6-7

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom