(plants) Convince Me...

Notivation

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a three gallon cube with a snail, betta, and shrimp. Gravel substrate. Can anyone convince me to get live plants as opposed to my silk plants, and if so what plants could I get that wouldn't be eaten by my snail, require a lot of attention or extra money, and wouldn't require a substrate change?

OnTheFly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Anubias or java fern should get along fine with little help. I'd start with an anubias. There are a lot of other plants that may survive, but most won't do well without some form of nutrients.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
snails normally wouldnt eat plants if they have another source of food. live plants i think look a thousand times better then fake ones. they also help with the water quality so you dont need to do water changes as often depending on how many you have, also provides hiding spots and places for fish and inverts to relax.
if you want easy plants then anubias nana, marimo moss ball, java moss are popular and very easy to care for. they dont need ferts or grooming and are low tech.

CricketKeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What kind of snail do you have? Different species eat different things. If it's a nerite they don't really eat plants, my spiked top apple snails only eat dead things, but my ramshorns will eat straight through java moss. Low light things like java moss, marimo moss balls, and guppy grass are what I keep, and they do great with my snails (not the same tank as the ramshorns though).

OnTheFly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What kind of snail do you have? Different species eat different things. If it's a nerite they don't really eat plants, my spiked top apple snails only eat dead things, but my ramshorns will eat straight through java moss. Low light things like java moss, marimo moss balls, and guppy grass are what I keep, and they do great with my snails (not the same tank as the ramshorns though).
Good suggestion. Guppy grass is a great first plant. It can be anchored to the bottom if the free floating look doesn't suit. It will do well enough off fish waste and minimal light.

Notivation

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Anubias or java fern should get along fine with little help. I'd start with an anubias. There are a lot of other plants that may survive, but most won't do well without some form of nutrients.
So, fish, snail, and shrimp poo don't contribute enough nutrients? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I am grossly ignorant in this area.

snails normally wouldnt eat plants if they have another source of food. live plants i think look a thousand times better then fake ones. they also help with the water quality so you dont need to do water changes as often depending on how many you have, also provides hiding spots and places for fish and inverts to relax.
if you want easy plants then anubias nana, marimo moss ball, java moss are popular and very easy to care for. they dont need ferts or grooming and are low tech.
Forgot to mention I have a marimo ball, but I'm not entirely sure how much it contributes. I've heard a lot about this anubias plant. How would I go about planting it? How much light does it need?

Zebra nerite. I didn't think it would do anything, but I just wanted to make sure.

General question for everyone, if I have an aerator running in the aquarium, will there not be enough CO2 for the plants? Or if I get enough plants, will I not need it?

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Forgot to mention I have a marimo ball, but I'm not entirely sure how much it contributes. I've heard a lot about this anubias plant. How would I go about planting it? How much light does it need?
it doesnt need a strong light, low light is fine with it. you can attach it to rocks, wood or if the roots are long enough bury the roots in the gravel (just dont bury rhizome its the part just before the roots). moss balls are sort of like mini filters

Notivation

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you have low light and no ferts, CO2 shouldn't be a problem.
Speaking of fertilizers, is there any type I could use that wouldn't cause an algae bloom or mess with my inverts? I know since it's a nano aquarium there's a much higher risk of it, but it's the best I can do right now.

it doesnt need a strong light, low light is fine with it. you can attach it to rocks, wood or if the roots are long enough bury the roots in the gravel (just dont bury rhizome its the part just before the roots). moss balls are sort of like mini filters
Cool! I have a double-arch looking deco thing I could probably get it to attach to, along with some java moss.

I want to thank everyone in this thread real quick, now I really want to go get live plants :woot:

OnTheFly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I dose 5G tanks all the time. Just started with a few drops and worked my way up a little. Small tanks are simple to light and only need a bit of ferts for easy plants to truly thrive. And yes plants can eat fish waste, but that requires you keep a few nitrates in the tank. Try it and see how it goes. Plants won't die overnight from lack of nutrition. You can tell if they don't grow at all, or start to lose proper color.

Notivation

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I dose 5G tanks all the time. Just started with a few drops and worked my way up a little. Small tanks are simple to light and only need a bit of ferts for easy plants to truly thrive. And yes plants can eat fish waste, but that requires you keep a few nitrates in the tank. Try it and see how it goes. Plants won't die overnight from lack of nutrition. You can tell if they don't grow at all, or start to lose proper color.
Sounds good. So my plan now is to get guppy grass for the back of the tank (looked at pictures of it and I absolutely love it, exactly what I need in my tank), and anubias for the front on the deco, and java moss growing on the deco. Could I get all this at a Petsmart/Petco?

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i know you can get anubias at petsmart/petco but not sure about the rest

OnTheFly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds good. So my plan now is to get guppy grass for the back of the tank (looked at pictures of it and I absolutely love it, exactly what I need in my tank), and anubias for the front on the deco, and java moss growing on the deco. Could I get all this at a Petsmart/Petco?
My Petco doesn't carry guppy grass or java but the smaller LFS usually do. If you just can't find anything local I could sell you most of what you want very cheap, and some very good ferts where all you would need to do is add water and dose with an eyedropper. But look around first because by the time you add some shipping you won't save big bucks even though I will about give about the plants away. Guppy grass is inexpensive if you find it. I think I could grow it in the back of my toilet tank.

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Anacharis, java fern, java moss, anubias, water sprite. Those are my favorite low light plants. I would get some seachem flourish for micro nutreints but other then that the nitrates from the fish and snails will be plenty. They (especially the water sprite and anacharis) will grow fast and suck up tons of nitrates and other things, raising water quality. They also look (IMO) far better then silk plants. Lots more fun to play with too because they actually grow!

Notivation

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My Petco doesn't carry guppy grass or java but the smaller LFS usually do. If you just can't find anything local I could sell you most of what you want very cheap, and some very good ferts where all you would need to do is add water and dose with an eyedropper. But look around first because by the time you add some shipping you won't save big bucks even though I will about give about the plants away. Guppy grass is inexpensive if you find it. I think I could grow it in the back of my toilet tank.
Wow! I appreciate the thought! That'd be kinda funny, growing things in toilet tanks... but I suppose it would work! Next time I get around to it, I'll check my LFSs

Anacharis, java fern, java moss, anubias, water sprite. Those are my favorite low light plants. I would get some seachem flourish for micro nutreints but other then that the nitrates from the fish and snails will be plenty. They (especially the water sprite and anacharis) will grow fast and suck up tons of nitrates and other things, raising water quality. They also look (IMO) far better then silk plants. Lots more fun to play with too because they actually grow!
That's awesome!! Thank you so much! I'll look into those as well :)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom