Plants bubbling. Happy or sad?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Akari_32, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

2. Dino

Dino Fishlore VIP Member

This is a happy thing!

Congratulations, your plants are pearling!

3. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

4. Dino

Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Different species pearl.
    Some, like anubias, I have never seen pearl.
    Do you have the same species in both tanks?

5. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

I've got Guppy Grass, Aponogenton, Wisteria, Java and Windelov Fern, Dwarf Lily, Marimo Moss Ball, etc, etc (anything I missed is in my info) in the 5.5, and then Guppy Grass (whats pearling), a bit of a Moss Ball, a single leaf off a Java fern that snuck in with the Guppy Grass, and two Aponogenton bulbs that I don't think will ever sprout in this little tank. So, basically, yes.

6. Dino

Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Most of the species listed will pearl when conditions are perfect.

7. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

So, the guppy grass is happier in a 3/4 gallon tank with no added ferts, a 10 watt CFL, and daily 75+% water changes, rather than a 5.5 gallon tank, with root tabs, liquid ferts, and lots of poop? :p

Why is it pearling from the the mostly dead cut stem rather than from the leaves?

8. Dino

Dino Fishlore VIP Member

The broke stem has the internal transport system exposed to the water ( no cell membrane in the way) so the gas escapes easier at the break.

9. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Ok, I figured as much :) Still weird that they are happier in this tank then they were in the 5.5 lol

10. angelfish220

angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

sometimes I think we baby our tanks too much... and waterchanges are almost ALWAYS key... the more water changes the better... nice looking plants btw

11. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Lol Thanks. They actually look quite pathetic if you look at them as a whole. The veins are red, there's a decent amount of brown in the stems, leaves are varying shades of green, with some melted bits... XD

12. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Nice job - I love pearling plants. :;hf

It's a good sign you've got the whole balance right, lights, nutrients and CO2.

And yep, some plants will and some plants won't. I've had my tank with some plants pearling, whilst the others in the same tank didn't.

13. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Theres obviously *something* not balanced in this tank, since theres some spot algae starting :;nin2 LOL And I think a 10 watt CFL over a 3/4 gallon tank is a little much :;laughing But what ever I'm doing, even if its temporary, I guess I'll just keep doing it until this tank is ready to come down lol

14. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

15. N

Nieveso New Member Member

you can buy algee control liquid that will also defog your tank but it will fog your tank for up to 2 minutes

16. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Eh, its not something I care about. The Garra is munching on it, and once I've had him for a week, he'll be moved to the 5.5, along with the shrimp and plants in this tank.

Algaecides are some of the worst things to put in your tank. Often times, there are much simpler and safer answers, such as a nutrient imbalance.

17. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Nice plants! Looks like the stem was recently cut or broke. Plants almost always pearl when that happens.

While anubias plants are not known to pearl, mine does in my high tech tank! Not a lot, but I notice bubbles being trapped under the thicker leaves. And when it blooms the flowers pearl constantly!

18. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Thanks! No doubt it broke when I took it all out of the 5.5, in the huge wad thats its still in now LOL It was pearling from the leaves, too, just not as much.

That must look really cool, the flowers pearling!

19. I keep fish

I keep fish Well Known Member Member

My guppy grass does that alot! I was wondering what that was

20. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice