Plants Attached To Driftwood Or Stone

Cole23

Reaction score
So my Fluval Flex 15 gallon is set up and currently cycling without fish. Right now it has a bonsai driftwood tree with marimo moss balls attached, two pieces of dragon stone, and a couple fake plants. I was considering removing the fake plants and adding live plants but I wanted some advice first. If I add live plants I do not want them buried in my gravel, instead I would like them attached to small pieces of driftwood or dragon stone that just sit on the bottom of my tank. I have a lot of extra dragon stone to use but no driftwood. Here’s my questions, first of which is better to attach plants too? Driftwood or dragon stone? Secondly if I attach the plants to driftwood or dragon stone myself what adhesive would I use? I have aquarium sealant (not sure if that would work) but I don’t have super glue. Third, which plants would be best for this purpose? I was thinking java fern and anubias, but I know very little about plants. I mainly want them for the back of my tank and one or two on the sides. Fourth, does anyone know where I could buy these plants already attached to driftwood or stone? I know aquatic arts sells them but I think they are all out of stock, anyone have any ideas? Lastly and most importantly how do I care for these plants? The Fluval Flex is a low light aquarium I believe. Would the plants need liquid fertilizer or anything like that? Like I said I know basically nothing about aquatic plants and this is my first tank ever so please share any and all information or advice you have with me. Thanks!

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It would be easier to attach plants to driftwood, but it doesn't really matter. Either will work.

You can attach the plants to the rocks/driftwood with rubber or elastic bands or fishing line until the roots go into the substrate.

I know PetSmart sells both. Java fern in-store, and anubias online, but that is just where I live. It may be different in your area. You could probably find them online too. Live Aquaria has anubias.

These plants will root into the substrate after being attached to the stone/driftwood for a for a while, and then you can remove whatever you used to attach them.

Aquasoil and a fertilizer would be help them grow, but neither is a necessity. Just a recommendation.
Side note:
Aquasoil can change your water parameters. If you don't want it changed, just use a normal substrate with with fertilizer if you want.

Anubias and java fern are both low light plants do you the light you have right now should be enough for them.

barbiespoodle

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm fairly new to planted tanks, but did put in a lot of research as far as plants that need to be planted and those better attached to rocks or driftwood.

One thing that has been a game changer for me as far as the attached plants is flourish glue. I get it from the lfs, comes in a two pack and attaches more plants than I actually have, have plenty left over at this point. I have used it with java moss, java ferns and anubia's attaching them to both driftwood and rocks. Plus I have used it to attach driftwood to a rock to keep it submersed and making rock piles that are stable once I get the look I want.

So far it's worked great with no problems to the water prams, after all, it is made to work in fish tanks.

Just my 2 cents worth.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You could do something like this:

Stone and wood are equally good for attaching. If you don't have superglue, cotton thread will work too.

Bucephalandra, bolbitus, and moss are great options for this too. In my opinion mosses other than java moss look the best, while being less unruly.

A low tech fertilizer would be greatly beneficial, if you're in the US, Nilocg ThriveC, Easy Green, or UNS Plant food are good options.
You could order all of your plants + fertilizer from Buceplant.com, and save on having to ship plants and ferts from different vendors

New Threads