Plants At Petco?

1. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

Can anyone give me an idea of the types of plants their local Petco sells, prices, and what kind of shape they're in? I go to Petco a couple times a month, but I've never paid any real attention to their plants. I'm specifically looking for Elodea. I've checked two PetSmarts and they were all dead or almost dead. My local Petco isn't great, but their plants seem decent.

2. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Their plants are fine but they are infested with snails. I will never buy plants from Petco. Their are about 20 snails per plant.

3. BReefer97 Member Member

You kind of need to know what you're looking for. Some of the things I was looking for were labeled very general. Like I picked up some java fern that was labeled "tropical plant." A lot of them weren't in great shape, but they sit in that gel plant food until they're either sold or thrown away. The small plants were around $7, and the large plants were around $13. The larger plants looked way healthier than the smaller ones, but I was luckily able to find some that looked nice. Java fern and some anubias attached to some mopani driftwood, and some dwarf hair grass. All purchased from petco :)

4. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm not worried about snails. I soak and clean all plants, even those from my other tanks before adding them.

5. BReefer97 Member Member

Forgot the pic, whoops

Attached Files:

6. BReefer97 Member Member

Are you talking about the tissue cultured plants they sell? Because all of the ones I bought said "snail free." I still did a salt dip regardless, but just curious.

7. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

In my opinion, it's hard to miss Elodea Densa. It's fairly distinctive to me. I really just need to find some that looks decent.

8. goplecos Well Known Member Member

I did that too (for almost an hour the second time) and that didn't help.

9. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm not exactly sure seeing as I never payed much attention to Petco plants.

10. goplecos Well Known Member Member

I really don't like the ones in the packages, they are always overpriced and usually dead. I am super picky about my plants, lol.

11. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

If nothing else, I can always buy an Assasssin Snail.

12. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Mine has:

Various swords (Amazon swords, micro swords, etc)
    Anacharis
    Mondo grass
    Some species of Rotala
    Some species of Anubias
    Some Java ferns attached to rocks and stuff
    Java moss attached to a vine or floating ball
    A whole lot of plants who aren't actually fully aquatic

13. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

Anarchis/Elodea was my main concern. I'll try to get in an extra trip that way tomorrow. Of course, I was close to there today.

14. BReefer97 Member Member

You could always call your local petco and request they order some in for you, that way you know you're getting what you're looking for and that it hasn't been sitting on a shelf for months. Buuut, you could also just order them live online. I'll try and find a link to a website I've heard is really good for ordering live plants; if you're interested? :)

15. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

I considered ordering them, but when I do, they'll have them back in stock. I'll check Petco tomorrow and another Petsmart next week if I need to.

16. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Most have that. It just totally depends. We have two Petcos nearby and one has awesome healthy plants (the ones I listed) and the other has some sad looking lucky bamboo and Amazon swords covered in hair algae.

17. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

I've found Anarchis plenty of times since I started looking, but none of it was healthy. Do you know about what price they typically are?

18. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Completely depends on what they sent them. Mine always gets different plants each times but they are not uncommon plants. They also keep their plants on a completely different system with no fish and amazingly, no snails.
    I have seen Ludwigia Repens broadleaf, Ludwigia Repens not so broadleaf, Valisneria, Amazon Swords, Java Ferns, Anubias, Hygrophila polysperma and other stuff I dont remember.
    The plants are usually healthy and the prices range anywhere from 25 pesos to 40 pesos. (1 - 2 bucks), the Anubias and Java Ferns are just a complete fraud, they are 10 times more expensive than other Java Ferns and Anubias around the area.

19. Over It Well Known Member Member

I've gotten all my live plants from Petco. I have lots of Anacharis/Elodea and they are all super healthy and have been growing like crazy. Also never ever had a snail come on any of the plants I got.

20. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

That's great! Hopefully my not so great "local" Petco will have some healthy Anarchis.