plants are dying please help me..

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am having a problem with my plants dying. I have an anacharis and have been reading that they will develop roots and sprout. Mine just forn spouts and then the main stalk turns brown and comes out of the gravel. I also have a water sprite that is turning brown and falling apart. I have like 1-1.5 inches a gravel in the bottom of the tank. My hornwort seams to do fine and is growing. I just keep replanting it when it gets knocked out. I started with one bunch of hornwort and now have about 4. Do I need to add anyting to my water or something. These are all floating plants so I didn't think they needed dirt under the gravel or something like it. Please advise, I really love my plants and don't want to loose them. My water levels are ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate <10. THanks Heidi

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It may just be the lighting that you have for that tank. I believe water sprite likes a good bit of light, and the anacharis probably does too. I have water sprite floating in a tank with 3 wpg and it likes that a lot. Do you just have basic hood lighting or a strip light? If so, you may want to try some java fern or anubias in your tank. Also, try floating the anacharis on the top to see if being closer to the light keeps them greener.

Osiris

Reaction score
If you have been adding Flourish Excel, the anacharis will die. It is very sensitive to an ingredient in the Flourish products.  Otherwise it probably is the light.  I've had it in tanks before, promtptly killed it with Flourish additives, and swore I'd never get any more.  But I recently decided to try it again and so far it is growing fast and green.  Hopefully if you add more light yours will grow fine.

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
I haven't been adding anything extra for them. I bought tropical sun bulbs from petco to put in the hoods. They said they were good for plants. The anacharis does stay green when floating but I have never gotten any roots forming like was mentioned in another thread. Do they really develop roots???

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom