Plants And Substrate For Planted Shrimp Tank?

1. b

blueraul Initiate Member

My question is basically what is the best combination of dark substrate and plants to put in a 40 gallon breeder tank. I plan to put lights on the tank so advice on those would be appreciated as well. I would like to have at least 3 different types of plants and want to make sure they provide enough cover for baby shrimp.

I would like the substrate to be dark because I plan on putting red cherry shrimp in the tank and I heard the darker the substrate the more red the shrimp will be.

2. b

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Well it depends. What kind of lights do you have? How many watts? Whats your Kh and Gh? There are many of plants to choose from so can you be more specific of what kind of plants you want?
    Plants like hornwort, java moss, guppy grass, water sprite are all good plants for shrimp. They grow fast, get bushy and usually have organisms that baby shrimp can eat.

Having a darker substrate does make their color pop. They feel more secure so they don’t have to try to camouflage to their surroundings.
    Any black sand or gravel would work but if you want a heavily planted tank, look into eco-complete, fluval stratum(made for shrimp) or flourite black.

3. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

For shrimp you also want some bushy soft places for shrimplets to feel safe moss (Jave, Christmas etc) and plants like subwassertang are a favourite amoungst shrimp keepers.