Plants and Plecos?

1. Raevyna Initiate Member

We have a well established 29 gallon tank with corydoras, mollies, and a good sized common plecostomus. The substrate is a mix of fine sand, small gravel, and tiger eyes.

We have only fake plants in the aquarium now, but wanted to upgrade to live plants. We bought some bulbs for Aponogeton Ulvaceus and Waterlily (Nymphaea Lotus Green).

I was doing research on proper care for these plants, and I came across someone mentioning how their pleco tore up their onions. Most sites have no warnings about destructiveness from anything but Oscars.

Has anyone had personal experience with plecos destroying their plants? If so, which beginner plants are most compatible with plecos?

Thanks!

2. fbn Well Known Member Member

I have not had any trouble with a common pleco or clown pleco.

3. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I've got plecs in all of my live plant tanks & never had a problem. The plec might dislodge a plant if it isn't well rooted as it swims past but they generally leave the plants themselves alone. Good beginer plants ae Hygrophilia Polysperma, Vallis, Water Sprite, any Anubius & a heap of others. Here's a link to a plant database that might help you out abit. http://www.tropica.com/default.asp

4. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

The common pleco will outgrow that tank faster then he will be able to destroy plants you put in there. Just a warning those fish get huge and will need to be removed soon. I would say you are more likely to have it uproot anything in the tank once it gets growing good but it will be more of an accident (due to size) then the nature of the fish. If you want to keep pleco's check around as there are many breeds that don't get over 5-6 inches.