Plants and nitrates

1. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

I'm new to having aquatic plants. To be honest I thought it was gonna be too much work, and were limited to 1 color. My nitrates have never been lower then 10 ppm, sometimes as high as 40 ppm. I always do 50% weekly water changes. I recently added 4 small plants. To my amazement, my nitrate levels are now down to 5 ppm. And my fish love the plants.

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Live plants make all the difference. Glad to hear you and your fish are loving them. :)

3. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

In all my years of fish keeping, I never thought I would. But, there really quite beautiful.

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Since I've started planting my tanks, I can't go back! Every tank is a jungle, and I love it. Welcome to the club!

5. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

Yea it's great, my tetras love spawning over the swords. I wish I could get fry, but my corys see to it that it will never happen.

6. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

Do you know if plants have any effect on PH?

7. TexasDomer

Not that I've noticed.

8. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

Ok was wondering . I have very hard water my PH is any were from 8.0-8.4 . I hope that don't hurt my plants.

9. TexasDomer

My pH is 8.2 and I have no issues with the plants I have!

10. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

Thank God I'd hate to lose my new plants

11. TexasDomer

What species did you get? Do you have a favorite yet?

12. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

I have a java fern, a giant corkscrew Val, an Amazon sword,and another type sword(not exactly sure which) I like the java fern and Amazon sword. Not sure which is my favorite tho.

13. TexasDomer

You should try crypts! Most are easy and low-light, and they're my favorite!

14. CROWNTAILBETTA

CROWNTAILBETTA Well Known Member Member

+1 for the crypts! I have 2 in my 30 gallon and they are thriving, and I'm new to plants.

15. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

Will definitely give those a try. I got plenty of room for more plants

16. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Valued Member Member

Since my husband got some anubias barteri in his tank (20 gal) I gotta admit I like them too. Hence why I added lots of plants to my new tank (5.5 gal) while I wait for it to cycle. Got anubias, crypt wendtii, java fern, moss ball, and we split a batch of taiwan moss between our tanks

17. Mifuluhu

Mifuluhu Well Known Member Member

Nice post! I decided to plant my tanks for the first as well and am addicted! I can't even look at those plastic plants anymore

18. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

I here ya live plants for me from now on. The funny thing is there about the same price as the plastic.

19. TexasDomer

And they reproduce by themselves, so eventually you can stop buying them and still have more to plant.

20. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

Yea I didn't think about that. Lol try to get that out of fake plants.