Plants and lids

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by comanche, Apr 11, 2010.

1. comancheNew MemberMember

I am new here. I really only have a few questions.

1. Does everyone have trouble with algae growing on the lid of the aquarium that blocks the light? I do and I resent having to clean the top everytime that I do a water change.

2. What kind of plant is this? It is the one with the really broad leafs with the algae growing on it. I have had it for quite some time and I think it is really cool and would like to get another for my other tank.

I guess two questions is really all I have right now.

Oh, I remember the other question. How often should you change driftwood?

Thanks

Attached Files:

• Plants and lids
      003.JPG
      File size:
      381.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  2. Elodea

ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore!

Personally, I haven't had any problem with algae growing on the lid of the tank. Do you mean that it's growing out of water?

I'm not sure what that plant is. Maybe an Anubias?

And I doubt that you have to change your driftwood ever, unless it starts to rot and break down in the water.

3. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

Not sure what the plant is, but I have had issue with the glass lid turning green where my airstones have been. I guess the constant water splashing keeps it damp enough for the algae to cling.

4. OP
    OP
    c

comancheNew MemberMember

Yes, grows out of the water. The glass on top of the tank is always moist and the algae grows there under the light.

Thanks

5. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

It grows on the water side of the c\glass top right? It's because the water is splashing on it. I have one tank that does that and it is a pain to keep cleaning it off.
    The plant to the les\ft is a sword of some kind and the other is an Anubias of some kind. Almost looks like Anubias gracilis .
    Carol

6. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

I have a tank that gets the algae on the lid but it doesn't really bother me to clean it off each week. I clean the lids on all my planted tanks every week so it's just a little messier than the others.

The plant is an Anubius but I don't think it's Gracilis. They have very distinct shaped leaves. I thinks it's just an ordinary Anubius Barteri var 'Barteri' or perhaps Anubius Barteri var 'Caladifolia'. Any which way it doesn't really matter, they all have pretty much the same requirements. It's common for algae to grow on Anubius as they are usually slow growing plants. I just wipe the algae off mine during water changes. Having them in a shaded spot in the aquarium will make a big difference to how much algae forms on thier leaves.

7. OP
    OP
    c

comancheNew MemberMember

Thanks. I have had aquariums for about 20 years now and always felt that I wasn't in the know. This forum has helped me in so many ways.

8. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice