Plants and Goldfish 40 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by aquaticat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. aquaticat

aquaticatWell Known MemberMember

I recently lost most of my fish in my 40g due to a stupid decision to move in guppies that had not been quarantined. I will be removing the remaining fish and moving them to my 10g, so I'll need to add some fish really soon to save the cycle since it's not quite there yet. I've always wanted to keep some goldfish, since I always see people I know buying them and keeping them in like 5 gallons and sometimes smaller. It's always bugged me when people keep them in tiny tanks even if they know that they need a bigger tank. I'd love to give some goldies a good home :) but...

My tank is planted. Currently it has several different newly planted stems of Anacharis which is quickly sprouting, an Anubius and Java Fern both anchored by a rock, and a small but pretty quickly spreading clump of Dwarf Hairgrass. All are planted in probably an inch of sand (all I could stand to get in the tank after the horrific experience I had with rinsing it LOL). I love how the tank looks, so I'm nervous about bigger fishies bothering the plants.

So, my question is: if added when they are very young (not sure what kind of goldies I would get, as long as they will stay about 6 inches or less) and small, would they get along with (or have a better chance of getting along with) plants? Also, I'm close to adding duckweed and I've heard that some goldies love to eat that stuff. Would that distract them from the other plants perhaps?

2. guppylover321New MemberMember

They shouldn't.

3. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

Adding plants to a Goldfish tank can be hit or miss. Plants in the substrate may very well be uprooted by the fish or eaten or both. You may have better luck with plants attached to driftwood/ornaments, however, they may still be eaten.

If you try it, please let us know how it works for your tank and fish.

Ken

4. Mrs.Price

Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

Oh, you can't grow duckweed in a goldfish tank, I've tried... and they will eat it, all of it.. until there is nothing left and it doesn't grow anymore... it would distract them for a second... and then your other plants and grass will get slaughtered. (most likely anyway)

I've never been able to keep plants in my tank, they eat the leaves and kill it, and with the ones that are too tough to eat, they just uproot them... a planted goldfish tank, not a good idea in my personal experience... and if you love your planted tank, why risk it?

5. OP
    OP
    aquaticat

aquaticatWell Known MemberMember

Thanks for the replies! I suppose I'll just have to find something different LOL Yeah I figured it wasn't worth the risk, but I just wanted to see if anyone had tried it and had success, especially with adding them when they are young.

Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice