Plants and a wet/dry filter?

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is a wet/dry filter ok to use in a planted tank or does it release to much C02.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning Don!

Great question! I'll be looking forward to the responses you receive. I've thought about having live plants in my 265g should the day ever come that I don't have Silver Dollars. Don't know that will ever happen though Too, I run a wet/dry filter on that tank.

Hope all is well!
Ken

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I had an Eshopps sump and overflow on my 75 gallon with three 2-liters of diy co2.

Some people suggest covering the top of the sump to prevent co2 loss.

I moved the hose coming into my sump from the overflow so that the end of the hose was under water. That kept the surface of the water in the sump from being churned up and off gassing co2. The water coming into the overflow was still losing co2 though. Look up Durso stand pipes. They are designed reduce noise but would also help with co2 loss.

I recently replaced the sump and overflow with a Marineland C Series 360. It's sooooo nice. The overflow made a lot of noise and the new filter is silent. I haven't had the new filter very long so I can't really tell you if the plant growth is better but with diy co2 I don't have any co2 to spare.

If you already have the wet/dry I'd say give it a try but if you are still deciding I'd suggest a canister that doesn't break up the water surface at all.

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning Don!

Great question! I'll be looking forward to the responses you receive. I've thought about having live plants in my 265g should the day ever come that I don't have Silver Dollars. Don't know that will ever happen though Too, I run a wet/dry filter on that tank.

Hope all is well!
Ken
I have the same Wet/Dry filter you have in the 125 gal single inlet size.
i run a Rio 2500 pump on mine with a tide pool overflo. I love this thing.
but i also have 2 ecco and 1 pro II Eheim canister filers and 2 AC 500 i can use on the 125 tank.

Attachments

pepetj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a Clear Aquatic Systems model 75 wet/dry sump filter in my moderately planted (heavily at times) 40gal community tank. I ran DIY CO2 there (with three 2L bottles and one 20oz as gas separator) for over a year and a half without problems(dosing with Flourish Excel now). The dissolved CO2 measurements (Hach CO2Test) showed 24ppm with lights off (when plants are not using CO2) and 12ppm with lights off (when plants do use CO2). I figure the differential to be the CO2 uptake of all the plants.

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Anybody else? or what do the plant keepers use for filters?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom