Plants All Dying

1. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

Almost all of my plants have started going brown, losing leaves and just looking sad in general. I added root tabs and an LED to my set up about 2-3 weeks ago and it seems to be going downhill since then. I will post pics of how they used to look about 2 weeks ago. Just imagine the majority of the leaves brown and wilted and gone 20170725_162450.jpg 20170725_162455.jpg 20170725_162450.jpg 20170725_162434.jpg 20170715_122814.jpg

2. Guppy Girls

Guppy Girls New Member Member

What is ur temp and what is the amonia lvl?

3. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

Temp is 25-27°. Not too sure about ammonia reading atm, but I'm sure some of my fish would be showing displays of stress if it was anything too crazy

4. Guppy Girls

Ok. Sometimes they dont show it cause i had an ammonia attck happen in my tank and my fish were all doing fine.

5. DylanM

DylanM Well Known Member Member

Ammonia wouldn't affect plants like this. Are you dosing with macro nutrients? Are these plants high maintenance ones that need co2?

6. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

This is how they look now. 20170804_222554.jpg 20170804_222545.jpg 20170804_222604.jpg 20170804_222557.jpg

7. Guppy Girls

High ammonia lvls could definetly kill plants.

But they do look like they have a nutrients deficiency

8. dcutl002

dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

1. What is the distance from the light to the substrate?
    2. How long is your photo period?
    3. What fertilizers do you use?
    4. What plants do you have? I believe I see Hornwort and Anubias, but I am not sure
    5. What LED fixture do you have?
    6. Do you dose Flourish Excel or inject CO2?

9. DylanM

No, high ammonia wouldn't kill plants. Thats why you can plant a tank before cycling it.

10. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

The amazon sword is considered a low maintenance plant yet it looks to be the one most affected... I've had the plants for a few months and only now have had this problem. Thought the light and tabs would help but the opposite seems to be happening:(

11. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

1. Around 60cm.
    2. Not too sure what you mean by photo period, but if you mean how long the lights are on for, about 5-6 hours a day.
    3. The tabs are called "pondflora" the brand is "waterlife". I also have a liquid fertilizer I don't use much anymore which is "plantamin" made by Tetra.
    4. Not too sure on all the names. I've posted on here asking but didn't get many replies and the store never labels... I belive the one is "oriental sword" and another is amazon sword. I can quickly go double check on what others thought the names were.
    5. I'll have to go check on the box as I can't remember exactly what it is right now...
    6. No
    @dcutl002

12. DylanM

Edit: Forget what I said. It is probably a lighting problem, try increasing the photoperiod to 8-9 hours a day, and if there is an over 20" gap from the light to substrate, you are going to need pretty strong LEDS to be able to grow plants near the substrate. Also, maybe pick up some API CO2 booster? It is a carbon source for your plants, co2 may not be the problem but it will boost your plant's growth.

13. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

The light is off in the pictures. I'm wondering if the light may be too strong and is burning the leaves...

Do you know which of these plants are column feeders? @DylanM

I've been trying to buy easy plants that don't need so much extra help as anything made by seachem is extremely expensive here and I'm on a student budget

14. dcutl002

OK. As mentioned above, I would procure some root tabs with Osmocote plus. If you look in the buy/sell/trade section of this forum you should be able to get some. If not, I know NilocG sells them on their website. I would lengthen the photoperiod to 10 hours a day.

I would also look into dosing Macro and Micro nutrients. I buy mine as dry ferts from greenleafaquariums.com and mix my own, but if that is a problem, you can buy the nutrients from NilocG on Amazon. Some use NilocG Thrive, but I prefer the nutrients that are separated: https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-NPK-A...ie=UTF8&qid=1501880337&sr=8-3&keywords=nilocG.

Do you know the brand name of your light?

15. DylanM

The third one is definitely a column feeder, although it may feed from the substrate also. Idk what it is but the roots coming out from pretty much every point on the plant gives that away. If you can't afford seachem, and have a little extra time maybe do research into dry ferts? They are very cheap, and arguably the best way of fertilizing a tank.

16. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Looks like combo of lighting and lack of ferts. Don't add excel until you get the ferts straightened out, it like stepping on the gas pedal with an empty tank.
    The brand/model of lighting would be helpful

17. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

Strange thing is I have a piece of the Amazon sword that I put in another tank with no LED, no fertilizer, not even planted (just floating around) and that piece is doing well. It's not a brand light or anything, just an LED tube.

18. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

I'll have to see if I can find something in stores around here as shipping to SA is really expensive. You end up paying nearly 4 times the price you bought the item for...

19. dcutl002

20. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

Does this help any? 20170805_072458.jpg