Plantless Aquascape--thoughts? | Page 2

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Fishstery, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Nobote

NoboteValued MemberMember

Brazilian pennywort can be planted on the substrate or allowed to float- either way works fine. If you want to float it but mot have it roam...you can loop the stems around something suctioncupped...like a thermometer etc or just a clear suction cup with a plastic rod in it.

2. OP
    OP
    Fishstery

FishsteryValued MemberMember

Great tip thank you! I actually think this is what I will end up doing :)

3. Silister Trench

Silister TrenchWell Known MemberMember

Plantless Aquascapes are actually more prone to algae, since there is no plant mass removing excess nutrients. I combated this by using purigen to remove excess nitrate and keep the water cleaner and using very dim lighting. I still find you need to scrub diatoms off regularly to keep the hardscape tank looking well. That being said, a low-maintenance tank is understocked, has minimal substrate, plenty of people pants that feed solely from the water column. Plantless tanks, or hardscape-only are pretty easy to clean, but definitely not free from algae.

PSX_20190614_212147.jpg

4. OP
    OP
    Fishstery

Thanks for the advice, gorgeous tank btw! I have once again changed my mind, I cut a 2x2 into two 4 inch blocks which I prop my light up with now, this is the first week with the lights being raised, no green slime algae yet but we will see if it can make it to Saturdays water change with minimal algae growth. Now I have a red cyanobacteria outbreak---can never get any rest lol! I am still going to siphon the black sand out and replace the substrate with carib sea super naturals peace river gravel to give it a more natural look, but other than that I am keeping my plants where they are.

5. clovervalley

clovervalleyValued MemberMember

If the green Cyanobacteria comes back, this got rid of it permanently (so far) and also might work on red, not sure. IMG_0561.JPG it’s safe for fish as well, just keep the tank aerated

6. OP
    OP
    Fishstery

I actually have that exact stuff I had to use this on the same tank in question a few months back for some blue green algae. I'm not sure if it will work for the red, but according to the guy at my local mom and pop fish store it wont. He offered me an extremely similar product only this was directly labeled for red cyanobacteria but I told him I would hold off in case I was tearing everything out and cleaning it to go plantless. I cant remember what it's called but since I'm only swapping out the substrate I'm sure the red cyanobacteria will stay and I'll post the name of this stuff when I buy it.