Planting

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Mer-max, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

I'm thinking of taking a 20 long and making a tank with no filter - I forget what it's called.

Lots of plants, dirt under the rocks. . .

How do you do those?

Can you use DIY co2?

What kind of lights would be considered medium for a 20 long?

My only other planted is a 55 which is pretty tall and I have t5ho

2. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Now I'm thinking a shrimp tank, heavily planted.

Will DIY co2 harm shrimp?

Will API leaf zone , flourish comp, flourish nitrate or API co2 booster harm shrimp?

Would the lights needed to grow the plants harm them?

3. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

I have. 2.5g shirmp tank with no filter... tons of plants daily flourish and it has 7w per gallon in lighting :) I also have 3 berried females on my last count :) so I would say your setup plan would work... but I have never used co2 of any kind so i can't help much there...

4. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Awesome. What kinna plants do you have? And shrimp?

5. monkeypie102

16 red cherry shimp and 3 rainbow shrimp :)
    As for plants I have pennywort, dwarf sag, Christmas moss (I want to grow enough for a wall!), anubias eye, ludwigia, rotala, duckweed, and amazon frogbit! I am planning to add more plants so I need to do some rearranging... I am off for the next 3 days so i may have to do that :)

6. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Also, what kind of lights? 7 wpg could grow alot

7. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

It's hard for me to locally find anything but ghost shrimp so ill be starting there. How many shrimp could happily have a home in a 20 long?

8. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

If you have no filter, what do you use for water movement?

9. monkeypie102

It is a small 14w florecent that fits in my desk lamp... nothing to special... though I am clipping plants weekly xD

10. monkeypie102

I don't use anything for water movement... but I do a couple water changes weekly... I didn't know shrimp needed water movement...

11. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

For the plants. Though, I dunno about a tank that small. I mainly wanted the 20 long for just plants but I figured why not some cool colored shrimp as well. If I don't need a filter I may just get a power head to have a little current

12. monkeypie102

Nah the plants don't need any water flow, that i know of....

Do you know what types of shrimp you want to get?

13. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Cherry, crystal reds, yellows. What ever colors I can find

14. monkeypie102

Becarful though... neocardianias will interbedd making an ugly brown color as with the cardinia shrimp breeds...

15. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Ok. Do you have to cycle a tank for shrimp just like fish? If so, how without a filter? And how do you get enough air in there without the filter moving the water?

16. f

featherblue Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't do neos without a filter. With an underseeded pair of converted intake cover to sponge filters I had deaths from ammo spikes, 2 seperate times with my oranges. With a ammo spike from adding a lg mystery snail I lost a blue. They are gill like breathers.......they obtain their o2 from the water.
    Easiest shrimp filter is simple sponge on an air line. My oranges are doing great with it now its fully cycled, and it oxegenates the water at the same time, with the bonus of no shrimplets danger.

17. monkeypie102

Yes you need to cycle it.. and my rocking that i put in the tank was enough for an instant cycle :) and the idea of a filter less tank is for the plants to make enough oxygen to allow the inhabitance to survive :)

18. monkeypie102

Meh... my neo's are in an unfiltered tank... I was going to put in the sponge filter but decided against it in the end... I now have berried shrimp though and its been over a month since it was setup and no deaths on my end :) I also have a blue mystery snail in there as well... maybe, i still think because all my oranges died, we just got some overly sensetive shrimp from the breeder...

19. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

So I could just run a air stone and be fine? No filter?

20. f

featherblue Well Known Member Member

Can u garuntee not to everover feed? An air stone with an intake cover sponge is a diy sponge filter. From what ive seen the reds are the hardiest of the neos, but I had bad test results each time I lost shrimp.....clear 0.5 ppm ammo was all it took blue or orange.
    The oranges aren't any more sensitive than my blues, both don't react well to poor quality water at all. My oranges are growing saddles almost ready to drop now their water isn't hurting them

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice