Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Planting Time!

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Quentin, Apr 18, 2019.

1. QuentinValued MemberMember

I am finally able to purchase some plants to finish planting my tank. My tank is basic, no co2 but I can add root tabs if needed. Does anyone recognize these plants? They’re the first to catch my eye, Will they be able to grow easily in a gravel substrate?

Attached Files:

2. CrazycoryfishladyWell Known MemberMember

The first one is ammania graccilus!
    The second one suspiciously looks liem it as well, just not as green.
    They could also technically end up being ludwigia, they're both fairly similar looking, and with multiple ludwigia varieties, some of them look lots like ammania.
    Though ludwigia usually gets more sharp leaves and is more red than pink like ammania usually gets.
    Often times the top of the leaves will turn green and the bottoms will stay pink like that second photo looks to me. This happens with a lot of red plants, even if they're kept in sunlight.

Here is what my ammania looks like right now after a bit of trimming, moving around and lots of growth.
    (We just switched from pure gravel to slight gravel below a thick layer of sand to make cleaning easier, but they get lots more nutrients from gravel as the poop settles)
    20190417_121650.jpg20190417_121635.jpg
    And this is my ludwigia which is fairly similar.
    1555616190417621688757.jpg
    The third one seems like bacopa maybe? Another favorite of mine!
    Get them all! XD

Omg is that (bacopa?) Flowering???!?!? So pretty holy cow! Amazing! It should be easier to tell using those flowers. Lets see...

3. QuentinValued MemberMember

Thank you! I might just have to get them all! The flowers are what caught my eye on the last picture I thought the purple was so pretty

4. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Not sure the first but believe the second is a type of Ludwigia and the third definitely looks like bacopa to me as well

5. CrazycoryfishladyWell Known MemberMember

Yeah I definitely think the second one is probably a ludwigia rather than an ammania after looking at it again, the leaves are much too broad and sharp for ammania.
    I believe the possible bacopa would be carolinana, as monneirie the other common one has white flowers.
    Looking them both up still shows purple flowers, but not quite like this one.
    I believe the flowers may melt in the water, it doesn't seem many fully immersed bacopas actually flower unless they're just emersed.
    It's actually water hyssop, which I didn't know until now, it can likely be eaten as it's identified as an herb, and carolinana is labeled as lemon bacopa.

6. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

It looked like the third pic the bacopa had a snail on it so if your against snails ide either dip the plants or very carefully inspect the plants and even then you could miss a snail sack

7. QuentinValued MemberMember

Update! I got all of them and will be moving everything around in my tank tomorrow and planting them! I also picked up a ghost shrimp

8. CrazycoryfishladyWell Known MemberMember

Ahhh this is kinda funny.... So I got my own plant wrong but your ID right!
    I told you the red.one is ammania gracillus, and it is for you, but the red one I showed you a picture of is actually called cardinalis! Lol
    :D
    Your ammania likely won't get as green as my cardinalis is, since my ammania actually never got that green either.
    Have you planted them yet?
    I'd love to see how they look in your tank!
    I also picked up some bacopa and our has flower sprouts too... No flowering yet though!

9. QuentinValued MemberMember

It’s lights out right now and I’m about to go to bed but I’ll post one in the morning:)

10. QuentinValued MemberMember

Here ya go!

Attached Files: