5 Gallon Tank Planting red lotus lily

Fishnpups

Hey yall, so i have a few plants in my 5 gallon, but im having the worst issue with the red lotus. It will NOT stay down. I know i cant burry it really beyond 1/4 of the bulb in the substrate due to the bulb but the fish amd mystery snails keep uprooting him.

Ive tried weighting him with a rock but that doesnt work well either. And i feel ots stressful to the plant to constantly be pushing him back in. Are bulb plamts gluable? Might it just be better to glue the side of the bulb to a rock and that way he stays in place??

I also thought the bulbs should absorb enough water to sink, but thats not the case for this one (?)

Mudminnow

I've found some bulbs sink and some float. I don't know why. If you have an inexpensive source, perhaps you could buy a few in hopes of finding a sinker.

On a side note, once you get it to grow, it will overwhelm your 5 gallon.

About gluing the bulb, I've not done this. But, I have used super glue to attach moss and other epiphytic plants to things. So, I doubt using superglue to anchor a bulb would hurt anything.

Upvote 0

FishSupreme

You could try to tie it to a rock to way it down. There are many videos and article about this sort of thing.

Upvote 0

Fishnpups

I've found some bulbs sink and some float. I don't know why. If you have an inexpensive source, perhaps you could buy a few in hopes of finding a sinker.

On a side note, once you get it to grow, it will overwhelm your 5 gallon.

About gluing the bulb, I've not done this. But, I have used super glue to attach moss and other epiphytic plants to things. So, I doubt using superglue to anchor a bulb would hurt anything.
I just find it 9dd because both my dwarf lilly bulbs have sunk. This one just will not.

As far as overwhelming tank, im going to try to keep it trimmed and train it ti stay low. I just liked the color and trying to give my eventual shrimo babies lots of hiding spots

I kniw suoer glue is aquarium safe but just unsure of anyome trying it out with bulbs vs moss etc.
You could try to tie it to a rock to way it down. There are many videos and article about this sort of thing.
Ill definitely chrck it out. Ive tried a few ways to keep it down but it keeps working its way back up. Literally every other day. No matter if i put a rock over it or burry it. Or just leave it slightly submerged. The corys and mystery snails find a way

Attachments

• 20201224_143315.jpg
    20201224_143315.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 14
Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
smee82