Planting New Plants

Woodsman27

HI everyone,
So I just got back from my lfs and got a really nice dragon stone and piece of driftwood but when I was talking to the employee she told me that I should add the eco complete to water? Because of the bb that's in it? I don't understand... all the how to's and build videos I've seen they all add the substrate first, then the hardscape THEN the plants... so what is right way to do it and which is wrong? I was kinda thinking I would add the eco complete then add the rock and driftwood then add the plants tomorrow, when I get them in the mail but now am not too sure...please help!

yinoma2001

I put the eco complete first, then put my plants into it.

Woodsman27

Right, but can the plants be added to an aquarium that has already been filled with water?

WTFish?

Right, but can the plants be added to an aquarium that has already been filled with water?
Absolutely, none of us drain our tank when getting new plants

Woodsman27

Awsome thanks!

yinoma2001

Of course. I filled 1/2 of my tank with eco complete and 1/2 regular gravel. I added water and let it sit overnight as it was pretty cloudy. Then I added the plants into the eco complete part with root tabs in place.

Marzahtha

New empty tank without any substrate? Existing tank with substrate and fish?

Eco complete if added to a new tank can be put in as is.

If you are adding it to a tank that is already up and running, I believe the bag says that you are supposed to drain the liquid off before adding it to the tank.

Also, keep in mind that it will displace the water in the tank and you will need to lower the water level prior to adding the substrate.

-Mak-

For convenience sake I would add the eco complete and aquascape the tank, but not fill it. It's easier to plant when there's no water, and it's pretty standard to plant a new tank before ever filling it

Woodsman27

Wow thanks everybody, what I ended up doing was adding the eco complete rocks and wood. Then I filled the tank just enough to cover the substrate so not to dry out. I will be adding the plants tomorrow when they arrive via USPS. (I just couldn't wait any longer, I was so tired of looking at an empty tank!) Anyway hope the plants turn out O.K. and again, I appreciate all your comments!

Woodsman27

Oh! Almost forgot... here's a pic

20181214_151340.jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishnturtleguy933
Replies
Views
Jocelyn Adelman
  • Question
Replies