Planting In Gravel

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Cholo Anderzon, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Cholo Anderzon

Cholo AnderzonValued MemberMember

I uses gravel for my substrate and I really want to turn my 30g tank into a planted tank so bought low light plants and planted them in the gravel substrate, I also add more gravel to have a deeper substrate for my plants and it's now 2 inches deep. I planted cabomba, bacopa, hornwort, hydrocotyle tripartita, hygrophila polysperma, java moss and some other plants that I forgot the name..
    They're been the tank for almost 4 weeks and I also been keeping about 40 fishes, 20 shrimps and 15 snails (molies, platies, swordtail, guppies, tiny algae eaters, rcs and nerite snails)

The problem is that there's always plants that floats to the surface, specially in the morning, I woke up founding about 10 stems floating on the surface and here I'm so excited planting my tank but now it's just a pain, planting more or less dozen of stems back in the substrate everyday. I even removed my plecos because of their moving around quickly and destructively ramming the plants and I also remove the single ivory snail that accidentally end up with my nerites when I bought them since they may be eating and cutting up the stems so portion of it floats even though they're a lot more bussy cleaners compare to my nerites who're just slacking around in a group sticking in the driftwood but still lot of plants end up floating on the surface everyday.

I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if it is natural and if there's a way to keep my plants anchored in the substrate..
    Any suggestions?..
    Thanks..

Here are the plants I planted that keeps on floating out of the substrate and the substrate that I been using.. :

Untitled142.png

2. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

Eventually when roots form they will stay in place... until that happens it's a bit of luck. If you have a pair of aquarium tweezers they will help you get the plants deeper, also plant one stem at a time and try to push the gravel back around the base. Clumps of stems are more likely to float. You can also place a rock or something heavy temporarily to help weigh them down, or use any plant weights. :)
    I promise eventually they will stop coming up!
    As a side note, cambomba needs some good lighting to do well, as well as the hydrocotyle at the substrate level in a 30g.
    Also it may not be hygrophilia polysperma as it is illegal to sell :)

3. allllien

allllienWell Known MemberMember

I just tuck them under some small rocks, I find it looks good too when little clumps of plants are planted around rocks :) If you want some really easy to work with plants, anubias work well and have long roots that don't tend to pull up as easily when freshly planted (and you wont get little bits floating in the water), here's my tanks with only various anubias, I used to have lots of different plants, but decided I like these best now.
    tank1.jpgtank2.jpg

4. OP
    OP
    Cholo Anderzon

Thanks for the tips.. I appreciated it..

I don't even know hygrophila polysperma is illegal.. XD . Maybe I'll get some anubias the next time I shop for plants, they seem easier to grow after all.. XD
    I just hope that my plants grow roots fast..

Also I think my platies may got to do with it as well as I see them nibbling the plants constantly..

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  5. MTSRandy

MTSRandyValued MemberMember

I use gravel and it is harder to put a group of stem plants in as one. Some always would slide up. I have found that if I separate the stems and plant them close together you end up with the same look but each stem is held a bit better. Water wysteria grows like mad in my tank along with swords of all types. I even bought a creeping Jenny plant from home depot and planted that in gravel.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  6. OP
    OP
    Cholo Anderzon

Men.. I'm jealous of you're planted tanks..
    So it would really do even using gravel for substrate.. I think I just have to be more patient it's my own decision to turn my tank into a planted tank after all..

7. MTSRandy

Don't be jealous. Took me a while to find the look I wanted. Yours will look beautiful when you get it the way you want I'm sure

8. MTSRandy

Just remember to use liquid fertilizer for stemplants and root tabs for your swords and such.

9. James17

James17Well Known MemberMember

Hey, it looks good, I know the feeling, my plants are moving all the time, I can't find what I like yet, but I will.

10. OP
    OP
    Cholo Anderzon

Thanks..

11. allllien

lol, I'm jealous of your yellow platy :) I've been looking for one like that for a while now, is it albino too? I haven't seen yellow albino before :)

12. MTSRandy

[quote uid=85055 name="MTSRandy" post=2864351]I use gravel and it is harder to put a group of stem plants in as one. Some always would slide up. I have found that if I separate the stems and plant them close together you end up with the same look but each stem is held a bit better. Water wysteria grows like mad in my tank along with swords of all types. I even bought a creeping Jenny plant from home depot and planted that in gravel.<br />[​IMG][/QUOTE]<br />lol, I'm jealous of your yellow platy :) I've been looking for one like that for a while now, is it albino too? I haven't seen yellow albino before :)
    I believe one is a blue mickey mouse high fin the other is a sunset high fin.
    My lfs had assorted high fin platys. I just picked a male and female that I liked the colors of.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  13. MTSRandy

There are also 2 threadfin rainbowfish in there somewhere lol. I'm waiting for them to get more in stock. I want a total of 6 threadfin in there. They are so cool lol. I'm setting up another tank that I'm going to move the platys to when its cycled.

14. allllien

Nice :) The yellow platy doesn't look like the usual sunset type, they're usually half red and half yellow with black pupils, yours is plain yellow right? Does it have black or yellow/red pupils? I'm just curious cos in the photo it looks like plain yellow (without iridescent scales) and pale eyes, it might just be the photo but it looks like one I haven't seen before, I know most shops get random assortments and you can find all sorts of colors, but I've never seen yellow albino before if that's what it is :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice