Planting and Stocking a New 130L Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by sharnieb, Dec 30, 2009.

1. s

sharnieb New Member Member

Hi everyone:;hi1,
    First of all just let me say how amazingly helpful this site is! I have been doing a lot of research in preparation for setting up a new tank and google keeps leading me here so I thought I'd better join, lol.

Anyways, I am about to purchase a tank with dimensions of 62cm x 72cm x 39cm with a capacity of approx 130 litres. My plan is basically to plant it, cycle it and get the plants going then begin gradually adding fish. I would really appreciate some advice on what fish and plants to get and what substrate and fertiliser I should use.

With the research I've done I am leaning towards one or two showfish possibly angelfish, a catfish of some type (recommendations please) and some pretty smaller fish ( maybe some type of schooling tetra?).

I am a bit worried about the angelfish being aggressive as I've read such varied reports and I am also aware that they may eat small fish like neons. Can this be avoided by ensuring they are well fed (obviously) and making sure there are plenty of hiding places in the tank? I am willing to consider other recommendations but basically i want one or two larger, attractive fish to be the showpiece of my aquarium.
    Also, if I do get angelfish would it be a good idea to add them last?

Any ideas on which species to get and advice on numbers would be great:)

Which brings to the second part of my question - what plants would be good for my tank and the fish mentioned earlier (good beginner plants preferrably). Do these plants require a certain substrate or fertiliser? Also is driftwood a good idea for my tank?

Basically I want to have an attractive aquarium with happy, healthy fish and I really want to do my absolute best to get things right so any advice is welcome.

Thanks so much and sorry for a long first post!

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!
    I don't know much about Angels, but I think one would be ok in your size tank.
    They need a tall tank.
    You'll be taking a chance with small tetras like neons. Cardinals are a bit larger. I think they're recommended over neons if you plan on keeping an Angel.
    You'll want to avoid nippy tetras.
    Perhaps an Angel, a school of Cardinals and some cories for the bottom.

Someone else will have to have your plant questions.

Best of luck, be sure to post pics when you're up and running. :)

3. rae64

rae64 Well Known Member Member

I have read that if you can get young, small angels and raise them in a tank with neons they will be fine. I would say just get one angel. If you get 2, the stronger will often torment the weaker. Your tank is aprox. 35 gals, so 1 angel will be just right. You could go 1 angel (10 inches) 8 neons (8 inches) maybe 6 cory cats (12 inches) and one other school of small fish, maybe another type of tetras like rummynoses. That would make for an active, colorful tank.

4. OP
    OP
    s

sharnieb New Member Member

Thanks for the welcome and replies so far!

I'm thinking one angelfish seems like the way to go and probs cardinal tetras -I thought neons were going to be too risky lol. It also seems like corys will be a good idea for the bottom.

More input most welcome!

5. g

gunner13 Well Known Member Member

Amazon sword is a good easy to grow plant, but it grows quickly(at least in my tank it does. As for the catfish, i recommend the pictus cat as they are hardy, nice to look at, and they dont hide. Good luck with your tank. And welcome to fishlore.

Nick

6. bettafish2816

bettafish2816 Fishlore VIP Member

i agree with the others, i'd say you could have one angelfish in that tank plus a school of 6 corycats on the bottom and maybe 6-10 tetras. i'd recommend adding the corycats first (since they tend to be the hardiest), then in a week or two add the tetras (more sensitive to water conditions), and then after another two weeks add the angel (to prevent aggression). that way the angel doesn't feel like the tetras are intruding into their territory and will be less likely to see them as a snack! i'd also recommend getting a small angel, nickel or dime body size, since the closer they are in size the less likely you will be to see aggression.

once you've got all those fish in the tank then you can see how high your nitrate levels are getting after a week, and if they are only 5-10 then you could probably add another cory or two or a few more tetras, but if they are getting closer to 20 then you're pretty fully stocked and should keep the numbers you have already :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice