Planting 100 Gallon Aquarium?

Vishaquatics

HI FishLore,

I have a tank/tub that I'd like to plant

Tank Stats:
100 Gallon
Outdoors
Receives around 3-3.5 hours of direct sunlight, and around 5 hours of indirect sunlight
Temp stays anywhere from 72-80
Stocked with around 50-60 Guppies and 2 Large Bristlenose Plecos (Hope to have cherry shrimp in there too once it is planted)
Canister Filtration
Bare-Bottom
Planted with a bit of Jungle Val in clay pots

My goal for this tub is to have it full of carpetting plants and mosses attached to a few pieces of driftwood. I usually never plan out a tank when I plant it so this time I want to change that and plant the tub with the help of the knowledgeable people on this forum.

So the first item that I have a question on is the substrate. I really don't want to be dropping a lot of money on substrate like Eco-Complete. I'd simply have to buy too much of it to cover a 100 gallon tub. I was thinking of using some sort of fine gravel and mixing it with a bunch of root tabs. Is this a good idea? Also, are there any cheaper alternatives to Eco-Complete? I've also heard of people using potting soil and then covering it with gravel. Would this also work? What is the best option?

Regarding CO2 and dosing, I can dose with Flourish Excel, but I simply wouldn't be comfortable with having a CO2 system outside due to the cost of it and the damage it could take from the elements.

For plants, what would be the best types of plants to grow? For carpetting plants, I'm looking for something that is bulletproof like jungle val, except it will carpet and be a bit on the smaller side. I was thinking something along the lines of dwarf sag and dwarf chain swords, but I was wondering if other types of carpetting plants would be an option too based on the conditions of my tub. For mosses, I'm looking to grow java moss and/or subwassertang. Is this okay? Are there any other mosses that would be better suited for my tub's conditions?

Thank you all for any advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Fanatic

Carpeting plants usually require a substrate, but I know that S. repens is the easiest type of beginner carpeting plants.
I am not very good with live plants, I seem to kill them all no matter what the care level is.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
75g Discus Tank
  • Question
Replies
Views
MaximumRide14
Replies
Views
Rev
  • Question