Planted Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Marinedude17422, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Marinedude17422New MemberMember

Hey all, I've been converting my tank to a low-tech planted tank with anubias, crypts and the like, and since I'm new to this, I was just wondering how many I should put in? Can you put in too many plants?

2. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

What size tank?
    Too many plants would be when there's no swimming space for fish.....

3. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Too many plants would be bad because they all wouldn't get sufficient nutrients (I'm thinking specifically nitrogen and phosphorus). You need fish to produce these two nutrients, ironically. Nature also has a countermeasure when too many plants are around, in the form of Cyanobacteria, which is dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    M

Marinedude17422New MemberMember

29 gallons and I'm using 2 different liquid ferts (macro and micro nutrients) and im not planning on letting my plants get to high so my fish have the top of the tank to swim around without any plants in their way

5. CindiL

CindiLFishlore LegendMember

You don't need a lot of ferts for the low tech planted tank, some yes, but your fish will put out a lot by way of ammonia. I personally like two to three inches of spacing between plants or clumps of plants. It makes cleaning the tank easier and especially with anubias and java ferns you can slide them around (assuming they're superglued to rocks etc) and clean under them. Not only that but the fish tend to like to poke at the substrate and find any left over food. If there are too many plants, they can't do that.

So my vote is lots of plants with some spaces :)

I have found bacopa has done really nice in my low tech tank as well as my sword plant and micro swords. I just have 6500k led lights.

6. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

You cant really have yo many plants as long as you supplement with ferts to make up for what their not getting. I love heavily planted tanks they are beautiful

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice