Planted Tank Vacuuming

Mifuluhu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In planted tanks, how often do you do a deep clean? Moving plants, decor and vacuum the sludge.

I ended up doing a deep clean in a planted tank and it’s a major difference! I should have done it sooner!

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Everytime i redo an aquascape which is usually every year do i do a deep clean. But, when i say aquascaped, it's months of planning and densly planted, so there is now way i'm moving it. Also, when you gravel vac, your getting rid of beneficial nutrients. I guess it depends on how densly planted your tank is.

Mifuluhu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
DutchAquarium said:
Everytime i redo an aquascape which is usually every year do i do a deep clean. But, when i say aquascaped, it's months of planning and densly planted, so there is now way i'm moving it. Also, when you gravel vac, your getting rid of beneficial nutrients. I guess it depends on how densly planted your tank is.
I’m heavily planted but most plants aren’t buried (ferns, anubias). I moved out a huge piece of java rock that was taking up space. The amount of sludge was amazing.

I’ve heard the BB does not live in the substrate unless an undergravel filter is used.

I hope I didn’t affect my cycle....I guess it’s nitrate/nitrite testing for a while

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Actually, somthing like 70% percent of your bacteria can be found in your substrate. But BB is not the same as nutrients. When you dose nutrients in the water column, this isn't the greatest because the leaves don't need it, you should use a powdered nutrient to put undergravel.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom