Planted tank timed lighting question

1. Rockyco Member Member

So, I had to toss a majority of my plants. I was leaving the LED light on from ~9am to 10pm... Had black fuzz over taking the plants.
    So I went and purchased too many new plants and a timer for the light.
    The tank is next to a window that does not get direct sun, but is a bright window regardless.

How should I set the timer??

Right now I have it set to turn on at 8:30 off at 11:30am then on again from 2-5 and 7-9:30

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. Rockyco Member Member

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406247344.630415.jpg
    The tank before the black fuzz take over

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406247450.198215.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406247488.223389.jpg
    The tank now that I just reset everything

3. Kindafishy Well Known Member Member

If you're getting significant indirect light, you'll need to keep the aquarium light exposure decreased. I also have a tank that's in a bright room, but when the tank light is off, you really don't see the insides that well. Do you think the tank is well lit when the light is off? When are you home?

I have my tank lights set for pretty much just when we are at home.

4. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

I would probably drop it down to a total of 7 hours, however you want to break it up. If you are able to get the algae under control with that duration, you might add a little more time.

For me it seems to differ from tank to tank in relatively bright rooms, one tank I only run for 6.5 hours and another I get by with 8.5 hours, but 13 hours never works for any light bright enough to grow plants. Ferts and CO2/Excel are also a factor. You would probably be better off with some of both in a bright room + what I assume is a low light LED.

5. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Some Seachem Excel would really help as well as a lowered amount of light. You can spot treat the Excel with a syringe on any problem spots and it works wonders. Just turn off the filter and air pump, then spot treat, then let sit for 20 minutes, then turn everything back on. Move to a new spot the next day and after a few days, you will have no more algae.

6. smee82 Well Known Member Member

I always start at 6hr and add an hr every few weeks until i notice algae but if your tank is getting a lot of light you probably need to at least add CO2 and most likely ferts too.

7. Rockyco Member Member

Thanks for all the input