Planted tank substrate

Hi, I want to re-do my 30l betta tank and use a planted substrate which I’ve never done before but do have experience with plants when just using an inert substrate and root tabs but think I want to use an aqua soil now. I’ll be using lots of easy plants like stems and crypts as well as some rhizome plants and an easy carpeting plant. I’ve looked at ada’s Amazonia vol 2 as apparently it’s really good and is good for beginners even though it can leach ammonia which I’m not so keen on. I’ve looked for it and it’s really expensive and can’t find it online easily from where I am in Scotland. Tropicas aqua soil is much more easily accessible and while expensive I’d be willing to buy it if it’s worth it. Should I pay the wee bit extra and get the ADA aqua soil shipped to me or go for tropicas? Is Tropicas soil good? Or any other suggestions?

Solution
If we were talking about the difference between an inert substrate and Tropica or ADA, there would be a lot of differences to consider. But since we're just talking about two planted tank substrates, I don't feel like there's so much difference between the two that you should definitely spend on one over the other. There are pros and cons to both. And I'm sure people a lot smarter than myself will know the exact, minute, differences between them both. IMO though, to a beginner, the differences will be small or even unnoticeable. So if I were in your situation, I'd just get Tropica since it's more accessible and affordable.

Here's some stuff I found about it to get some other opinions too:
Recommendations for planted tank...
If we were talking about the difference between an inert substrate and Tropica or ADA, there would be a lot of differences to consider. But since we're just talking about two planted tank substrates, I don't feel like there's so much difference between the two that you should definitely spend on one over the other. There are pros and cons to both. And I'm sure people a lot smarter than myself will know the exact, minute, differences between them both. IMO though, to a beginner, the differences will be small or even unnoticeable. So if I were in your situation, I'd just get Tropica since it's more accessible and affordable.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...mendations-for-planted-tank-substrate.464565/

Recommendations for planted tank substrate?? | Plant Fertilizer Forum | 464565

That’s great thanks :)

Solution
Top Bottom