Planted tank substrate

appcontrol

So i am building new tank, 45x45x45cm, led light, fluval 206. I am not sure what substrate to use tank will be low to medium light tank for now without co2(i have spare bottle if i change mind)
So i am thinking should i use soil like tropica soil and on top soil powder or some sand or should i use multi layer substrate with some jbl manado dark on top so i could have manoeuvre space if i want to add co2 and in other hand not to have problems with nutrients if i stay low light.

Asomeone

It depends what youre stocking but I personally use fluval shrimp stratum to lower my hard tap water (switching to rodi) Regardless of the brand you use id definitely cap it but keep in mind that sand is gonna sink. Use a heavy grain.

Upvote 0

appcontrol

It depends what youre stocking but I personally use fluval shrimp stratum to lower my hard tap water (switching to rodi) Regardless of the brand you use id definitely cap it but keep in mind that sand is gonna sink. Use a heavy grain.
Tnx. i went with tropica soil and soil powder for top layer. I will soak soil for at least week with daily water changes so i get less ammonia in my tank at the start. A i will get time to make hardscape and order plants

Upvote 0

RomeoOscar

Depends really on what you wanna do... And how much money you wanna spend. I run a densely planted tank on just cheap sand with gravel underneath... Root tabs and liquid ferts. Looks like a forest. If you want high tech plants maybe some fertile soil... I've got some advanced ones and it works great on this cheap setup

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
George1992
Replies
Views
NevermindIgnoreMe
Replies
Views
Giul
Replies