Planted Tank Snail Suggestions??

1. gourami88 Member Member

I have a 29 gallon heavily planted tank. I'd like to get a snail (or maybe 2) for this tank. I'm a little picky though. I'm not looking for a large snail, preferably a smaller type, one that won't eat my aquarium plants and one that won't breed out of control (or at all would be great!). I was thinking a nerite or two, but please make any suggestions. I'm pretty new to snail keeping and don't have any at the moment so any help is GREATLY appreciated!

2. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

Dunno what to suggest other than a nerite. Maybe one of the species of mystery snails that won't eat plants.

3. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Nerites can't breed in freshwater, probably your best bet.

4. Brainlady Well Known Member Member

I had thought of an Apple snail, but probably not with the loaches. I had a lovely snail which got killed by a 'gang' of Assassin snails....... first time this every happened.
    Nerites would be your best bet.

5. gourami88 Member Member

So sounds like nerites! Now I just need to find a place to buy them! My LFS doesn't carry them and said he can't get them in at the moment. I'd love to add some to all of my tanks with the exception of the tank with the loaches ( i know how that would end).

I was looking at the different kinds and I really like the horned nerite snails. Again, just gotta locate some!

Thanks for the advice!!

6. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

7. gourami88 Member Member

Just PM'd her! Thanks!!

8. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

I have both Nerites and Mystery snails in my planted tank. I see my mystery snails a lot more than the nerites and they are a lot more active. So I would go for Mysteries.